The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
B00kwOrm
Obviously, the conditions at private school were much better, but a lot of people still messed up, because they couldn't be bothered to work.

Yeah... look at Prince Harry. He went to some of the best private schools in the country and what was it he got... a D in Geography and a B in art?

Before you mistake the above for humour remember; as his family is still paid considerable sums by the government. Your parent's taxes paid for the private education Harry wasted.
Reply 101
Faboba
Yeah... look at Prince Harry. He went to some of the best private schools in the country and what was it he got... a D in Geography and a B in art?

Before you mistake the above for humour remember; as his family is still paid considerable sums by the government. Your parent's taxes paid for the private education Harry wasted.

Even one of the most expensive educations available to mankind cannot repair the damage caused by three centuries of inbreeding.
Reply 102
Faboba

I do feel that some people at private schools do not appreciate how lucky they are, the people that tend to thrive best in private schools are those who are on scholarships who have come from the state sector, in most cases they are very grateful for the opportunity they have and don't want to waste it, but there are some kids who are bright, but don't try at all and don't even seem to take advantage of the sports or music facilities. I wonder why the parents even bother to pay the fees when the child would do just the same in a state school.
Reply 103
7.7 (9 A* 3.5 A) and yes i am at oxbridge
Reply 104
Louise_1988
I do feel that some people at private schools do not appreciate how lucky they are, the people that tend to thrive best in private schools are those who are on scholarships who have come from the state sector, in most cases they are very grateful for the opportunity they have and don't want to waste it, but there are some kids who are bright, but don't try at all and don't even seem to take advantage of the sports or music facilities. I wonder why the parents even bother to pay the fees when the child would do just the same in a state school.

thats very true. most of my education was abroad where the standards were comparable to a below-average UK state school. I got a scholarship to study at Sixth Form at one of the top (top 25ish acc to the times) private schools and i feel i benefited greatly.

the people who had been in that school all their lives, on scholarships or otherwise, had no idea on what sort of privilaged schooling they had had. infact, quite a few of them were constantly complaining about the "lack of facilities" :confused: and the quality of the teaching staff. go figure :rolleyes:

EDIT: i got 5A*s 3As and 1 B doing IGCSEs. at the school i was at however, only 'allowed' students to do about 6 subjects. the avearge grades there were a hand full of Ds. I have currently got an offer to read medicine at cambridge starting in 2005 if i manage to get 3As (dreading Aug 19th :frown: )
Reply 105
elpaw

And a scholar too :biggrin: There is hope! :smile:
Reply 106
elpaw

Sorry I obviously don't follow this whole system; what does 3.5 A mean? How can you have half an A?
Reply 107
Faboba
Sorry I obviously don't follow this whole system; what does 3.5 A mean? How can you have half an A?

Short Course GCSE, basically half the course, often taken a year early in subjects like PE, IT, RS of PSHE. (They all seem to be acronyms of some sort-interesting)
Louise_1988
(They all seem to be acronyms of some sort-interesting)

To make them shorter? :confused:
Reply 109
Louise_1988
Short Course GCSE, basically half the course, often taken a year early in subjects like PE, IT, RS of PSHE. (They all seem to be acronyms of some sort-interesting)

Hee hee. Up here Religion as an exam subject is called Religious Moral and Philosophical Education or RMPS or as everyone calls it Rumpus. Not one of the greatest moves on the part of the SQA, really.

( No, I didn't take it )

( Because it's shit )
Reply 110
Rumpus hehe :biggrin: We never called it that! I must start spreading that around :wink:.
It's always called RE because we can't be bothered with an extra two letters.
And I have two units in it :frown:
Reply 111
3 A*s 4 As and 3 Bs

I went to New College, Oxford, and finished my course this summer! :biggrin:
Reply 112
Catt
3 A*s 4 As and 3 Bs

I went to New College, Oxford, and finished my course this summer! :biggrin:

Cool. What course? Where? How was it? How did you do? How are you?
Reply 113
Faboba
Cool. What course? Where? How was it? How did you do? How are you?

I'm fine..thanks :smile:

I did Human Sciences and got a 2:1 overall, and a 1st in my dissertation.
Overall it was good, I found the first year quite tough and nearly transferred to UCL, but in the end decided not to. The course is very interesting, you cover so many different subjects from genetics to language and now when i look back on everything I now know that I didn't before I feel really happy.

New College is a really nice college, very large in both numbers of students and in terms of the gardens which are amazing - so nice to have in the summer and also the winter. I really liked be able to go for walks around it at night.

Oxford is a nice city, but quite small. I live in greater london and found it a little claustrophobic at times - but as my house was only about an hour and a half a way it was fine. It rains, a lot. And the buildings are amazing. The people are very very very varied, you get the sloane ranger types, the Ra's and all that but its fairly down to earth (ish) (stay clear of the Union and you'll be fine, unless you like that kind of thing! :biggrin: ). The biggest issue I had is with the university itself, IMHO its run really badly, but maybe thats just me. Its also a tourist city. Most of the time you're not in Oxford at the peak tourist season but even so you have to get used to coach loads of people wondering about where you live treating it like a museum, many seem very unaware of the fact that it is a university city, but also that non-university going people live there as well (whom incidentally must get really annoyed by the students as well as the tourists! :biggrin:). Oh and terms are only 8 weeks so you aren't there for long!

Teaching is hit and miss. The tutors know their stuff and are undoubtably leaders in their fields in most cases, but this doesn't mean they can teach - something I discovered on many occasions.

It isn't for everyone but it is a very nice city and you have access to oppurtunities not availible and most other universities.
Reply 114
7.33 (5 A*, 2 A, 2 B), and I am at Cambridge. Personally, though, I think GCSEs are a bit crap - a friend of mine here got mostly Bs, yet that has not prevented him from getting a first on his first year exams.
Reply 115
Catt
I'm fine..thanks :smile:

It isn't for everyone but it is a very nice city and you have access to oppurtunities not availible and most other universities.

Far out! And well done with your results.
violagrrl
okay this probs has been done but I couldn't find it, so what average points did you get for GCSEs (8 being for A* 7 for A etc.)

And can yousay whether or not you are at oxbridge
8 or 7.9
7.17.0 and below

Latest

Trending

Trending