The Student Room Group

Distinction merit merit

In my first year of my course I got a merit overall and I need to get a dmm overall in order to get to the uni I want to. Will I be able to get it in the second year?
Original post by sharnaynelson
In my first year of my course I got a merit overall and I need to get a dmm overall in order to get to the uni I want to. Will I be able to get it in the second year?

It's difficult to give an accurate answer without knowing your BTEC subject, what units you took in year one, and what grade you got in each unit (knowing you mark or points in each examined unit would be even better).

However, if you achieved a merit in every internal (coursework) unit across both years, and a merit in each external (examined) unit across both years, then you'd walk away with a DMM overall. (There's even a chance you could get a DDM, depending on how you did in the examined units.)
Reply 2
thank you for replying to my question. in my first year of college i did level 3 foundational diploma of travel and tourism and i did 6 units and i got 1 distinction, 2 merits and 3 passes. what would i need in order to get a dmm overall?
Original post by sharnaynelson
thank you for replying to my question. in my first year of college i did level 3 foundational diploma of travel and tourism and i did 6 units and i got 1 distinction, 2 merits and 3 passes. what would i need in order to get a dmm overall?

Unfortunately, "6 units and i got 1 distinction, 2 merits and 3 passes" isn't really the same as "what units you took in year one, and what grade you got in each unit" - which is what I asked.

Let me explain why this is important. Each unit you do earns you points. Your final grade is based upon the total number of points you earn across all units. Different units earn different points, not just based upon the grade but also depending on the size of that unit (in guided learning hours, or GLH) and whether that units was internal (coursework) or external (exams).

For example, a distinction in Unit 2 (Global Destinations) gets you 32 points, whilst a distinction in Unit 5 (Travel and Tourism Enterprises) get you 24 points, and a distinction in any of the optional units (Unit 6 through Unit 15) gets you 16 points.

So your 6 grades of P, P, P, M, M and D could have earned you anything between 71 and 91 points, depending on which units each grade was in. We know you must have got at least 73 points, as that's the minimum requirement for a Merit overall. As 91 is still a merit, the information you've provided still means you could have anything between 73 and 91 points. (You need 176 across both years for a DMM.)

If you feel more comfortable working out yourself, can I direct you to page 231 and 232 of the specification, here. Or you could just rely on the tables below:

BTEC Unit Points - Internal.PNG

BTEC Unit Points - External.PNG

BTEC Nationals - Calculation of Qualification Grade.PNG

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending