The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying

I broke my leg and it's nearly time to go uni, I can't walk on it but soon I will be able to weight bare in it but I won't be fully recovered till December time my GP says, I ATM use crutches to get around and the problem with me is mobility ofc.
Should I apply, I have medical certificate evidence and such and will need help getting to the uni because I might choose to live at home since my parents look after me, aka make my meals, help me set up the shower and such. Currently I need assistance till I recover fully, any comments, previous experience is greatly appreciated
Thanks
I don't think you'd get DSA as its not actually a disability.
Reply 2
Contact the Disability Advisor at your uni. They will be able to advise on eligibility. Whilst not a long-term disability, a broken leg may impact your ability to study as you outline, so it's worth investigating further.
Reply 3
Bump, more opinions plz
Original post by Anonnnne
Bump, more opinions plz

What is it you're after? You may get some support from your uni. But because it's not a disability, DSA won't help you.
Reply 5
Isn't it classed as a physical disability though lol, I jus wanna know what support I'm entitled to . Transport n such
Original post by Anonnnne
Isn't it classed as a physical disability though lol, I jus wanna know what support I'm entitled to . Transport n such

nothing from DSA, the whole process takes about 6-8 weeks (to apply and be assessed and all that) by the time thats happened you'd be almost healed.
You'd have to talk to your uni. Having a broken leg isn't classed as a disability under the Equalities Act.
When my friend broke her leg my university paid for a taxi to and from her accommodation everyday, and because she was on some pretty strong paid medication at the time she got special consideration in the exams. Her mum and dad took turns staying with her in halls to help her out with day-to-day things so she wouldn't have to move back home.

However, it was the universities fault she broke her leg so they may have been extra nice to her so she wouldn't complain! It's worth letting them know about it though incase they have something in place for students like you. I'm sure you won't be the first or the last person with a broken leg at university!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending