The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Reply 1
If you live in Halifax college then it is possible to buy a permit and park your car in the Halifax car park. I can't remember how much it costs off the top of my head.

There are not many places that you can park near campus that aren't permitted or regulated at all, and to get a permit you need to live at an address on that road so you won't be able to get one.

If you were desperate to bring your car and park on the main campus it would cost you £5 per day, and if you forgot to buy a ticket you get clamped with a release fee of £50.

So... if you're lucky enough to get in Halifax then you might be able to bring your car (although the permits aren't guaranteed) but otherwise i wouldn't bother. You probably won't really need it on campus anyways.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Unless you get in Halifax or Fairfax house I honestly wouldnt bother, people will just abuse you for your car and you will get lazy as a result of it. I didnt bring mine till the 3rd year and didn't miss it at all, just walked everywhere.
Reply 3
There is the odd place around the heslington area you can park your car, my friend who lives in Derwent always found a place, but you have to be careful where or residents in the area tend to get annoyed if you dump it in a residential area.
Reply 4
What do you intend to use your car for?
Lots of people say "I couldn't live without my car", but really, it's not an issue at all - noone else will have a car so you'll have company when travelling anywhere.
It's like people who say "I couldn't live without TV", you don't even think about it once you're there.
Reply 5
I think the main point is that it makes it a lot easier to get stuff home. I don't think I'll bother bringing my car until 2nd year though.
Reply 6
I'm really gonna have to bring my car as I live with my Gran and even though Id be 68 miles away Im still the nearest relative if anything happens... Effectively, I need to be on call 24/7 ...So can I put that on the accommodation forms....Will that make any difference at all?

:s-smilie: Results 2moro!!
The best thing to do would be to phone the accommodation/administration office...
Reply 8
When filling out your accommodation application form you can put that you want car parking.
Permits for Halifax and Fairfax are £35 for the year, there is also on-campus parking at Vanbrugh College for £95 for the year.
I was lucky enough to live in Fairfax last year so brought my car, I got plenty of use out of it, especially for shopping as the big Asda is 2 buses away :biggrin:
Reply 9
online shopping FTW tbh :smile:
Reply 10
I'm a saddo i like going food shopping and picking my own stuffs :tongue:
dizzie ~ you should ring up and ask, if you have a genuine reason i'm sure they will let you.
Reply 12
I agree you should ring up and ask as it can't harm to try. They may well not see it as a reason though since there are so few parking spaces, they were capped by the council in 1991 or something and aren't allowed new ones so have to be strict on the use of cars.

Latest

Trending

Trending