The Student Room Group

A2 German Students (2016-2017) (mostly AQA)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tuesday90909
How did everyone find the As retake

can you remember roughly what was on the paper?
Does anyone know the grade boundaries for the A level or how many marks you need to get an overall A or A* ?
Original post by Lucky987
Does anyone know the grade boundaries for the A level or how many marks you need to get an overall A or A* ?

For the writing paper (last year), you needed 95/110 to get an A* (it was quite a difficult paper). I think the highest it's ever been for an A* is 104/110. I think that was June 2011 or 2012.
For the speaking, it was usually stays the same with 46/50 to get an A* and 43/50 to get an A.

Overall, you need 320/400 UMS to get an A, and you need 360/400 UMS to get an A* (however, you also need to average over 90% for all your A2 units). In terms of marks, this varies depending on the grade boundaries.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by greentron6
For the writing paper (last year), you needed 95/110 to get an A* (it was quite a difficult paper). I think the highest it's ever been for an A* is 104/110. I think that was June 2011 or 2012.
For the speaking, it was usually stays the same with 46/50 to get an A* and 43/50 to get an A.

Overall, you need 320/400 UMS to get an A, and you need 360/400 UMS to get an A* (however, you also need to average over 90% for all your A2 units). In terms of marks, this varies depending on the grade boundaries.

Thank you, it's more clear now on what I should aim for in the A2 paper
Reply 104
Lmao if this years exam is as hard as the one they did last year then we are all f u c k e d
Original post by Inexorably
Lmao if this years exam is as hard as the one they did last year then we are all f u c k e d

Last year's exam gave me a banging headache! I really struggled to understand that "Atomkraft" section.

How are you preparing for the translation section? I have no problem with the English to German. It's the German to English section, which I find difficult (funnily enough...)
Reply 106
Original post by greentron6
Last year's exam gave me a banging headache! I really struggled to understand that "Atomkraft" section.

How are you preparing for the translation section? I have no problem with the English to German. It's the German to English section, which I find difficult (funnily enough...)

Lmao oh my God that Atomkraft section, I got ZERO on that... it was so, so difficult I couldn't believe it.

I don't really prepare for the translation bit, I just try and learn some of the words that are part of the course but I generally do well on translation and either get full marks on both parts or drop 1 mark on the German > English because I don't know one/two words :tongue:

this might help: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/a2-german-translation-6429203
(edited 6 years ago)
Yh sometimes I just can't think of the English word when trying to translate it from German as well, usually hard words lol. in the 2016 paper, I came across some weird word 'rechtsextremistische'
(edited 6 years ago)
How often do you guys replay a passage and when do you eventually start filling the boxes/answering the questions in the Listening section? Or like what are your techniques in getting almost full to full marks in this section?
I have done two papers today and got 60 and 59 out of 70.. and Listening is where I lost most of my marks.
I usually listen to each question once fully through without answering anything to get the feel for it and then I listen to it again and then answer the questions and like pause it and replay when I need to ☺️ The translation section into English is the part where I lose most marks, I keep getting 7/10 which isn't bad but it's annoying as I know what it says I just can't seem to form the correct English 😫 Any tips?!
Guys I need some help :frown: I have only learned one written and learned one essay for this exam - its the positive/negative one for the 20th century german - have I ****ed up badly???
anyone got tips for translating, and getting above 20/25 for context of essays?
Reply 112
Original post by faheembutt
Guys I need some help :frown: I have only learned one written and learned one essay for this exam - its the positive/negative one for the 20th century german - have I ****ed up badly???

You need to learn at least the following aspects of your chosen history topic really:

- A key personality
- Positives/negatives/what life was like
- Important events
Original post by Inexorably
You need to learn at least the following aspects of your chosen history topic really:

- A key personality
- Positives/negatives/what life was like
- Important events

Have you got any short list like this but for the film? other than obviously themes, main character the directer- anything more specific?
Reply 114
Original post by tuesday90909
Have you got any short list like this but for the film? other than obviously themes, main character the directer- anything more specific?

Uhhh I'm not doing film but asides from what you've already said I can't think what else would come up

Possibly something to do with your personal reaction e.g. "in what ways is the work something new/fascinating"/"how did you initially react to the works of your chosen x".
any predictions for the literature question tomorrow????
How is everyone feeling for tmr??
I bet it will be a difficult paper like last year:frown:
Not great really 😬 i just hope the essays on the play are nice 😂
Original post by thurs001.310
How is everyone feeling for tmr??
I bet it will be a difficult paper like last year:frown:

its gonna be awful
I think the paper is going to be more challenging tbh because it's the last year of the spec :s-smilie: even some in the French thread mentioned that

Hopefully the essay question about the film will be about themes/techniques used +personal response (made a lot of notes for these) and hoping that nothing surprising comes up
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending