The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham Applicants 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

I've applied for Hispanic Studies (with foundation year) as a mature (22yo?) student - I have an interview on 17th Feb and have no idea what the format will be and it's stressing me out. Has anyone interviewed for the foundation year? How did it go?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 201
Anyone here for Dietetics?
Got an interview on Feb 8th.
Name: Algie
Course: Mathematics (MMath), offer: A*AA including A* in mathematics
GCSEs: 5 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs
AS: AABB
A2 subjects: Mathematics, Computer science, Physics
A2 (predictions): A*AA
ECs: Train in MMA, fought competitively in BJJ, worked as a michandler and stage hand in local concert hall, work shadowing in Lloyds I.T division, job as a potwash etc.
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Hey I'm applying to Nottingham
Course : chemical engineering
A-levels: Chemistry maths biology and AS Spanish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I'm applying for Chemical engineering too. have you applied for straight Chem eng
Anyone know if Nottingham can accept you to go from engineering with foundation year to study straight chem eng? I am a gap year student who got BBC and is retaking a few exams, and I am confident I can achieve AAA. Also, as I am a student, would they be more lenient with their offer, if they do accept me for chem eng? Say I get AAB/ABB, would they still accept me to transfer to chem eng?
I'm so stuck between catered and self catered accommodation. If i went self catered I would look at Broadgate Park. I'm studying Computer Science so my lectures will be on Jubilee Campus I'm so stuck!
Original post by Stegi.mon
A nyone know if Nottingham can accept you to go from engineering with foundation year to study straight chem eng? I am a gap year student who got BBC and is retaking a few exams, and I am confident I can achieve AAA. Also, as I am a student, would they be more lenient with their offer, if they do accept me for chem eng? Say I get AAB/ABB, would they still accept me to transfer to chem eng?

Heyy I took a gap year and applied for chem eng too. My grades were BBB but in going to retake and my predicted grades are AAA. Nottingham kindly made me an offer of AAB :smile:
Reply 207
Guys, can you give me some positives and negatives about Nottingham. I have a very good offer from them and am tied between Nottingham and Southampton for an Engineering degree. Any response will get a rep!
Original post by Aidan.reed
I'm so stuck between catered and self catered accommodation. If i went self catered I would look at Broadgate Park. I'm studying Computer Science so my lectures will be on Jubilee Campus I'm so stuck!

Why not Raleigh/Nottingham Two/SPC? They're next to Jubilee. :smile:
Original post by Glib
Guys, can you give me some positives and negatives about Nottingham. I have a very good offer from them and am tied between Nottingham and Southampton for an Engineering degree. Any response will get a rep!

Pros:

-Notts has a stronger rep in a broader sense to employers. E.g. law, IB, consulting. So, if you decided you didn't want to pursue a career in engineering, we have more career fairs with the aforementioned employers.

-Campus investment is massive and growing - e.g. the David Ross Sports Village, Engineering Library (George Green) and continued expansion. It's in the top 3 in terms of campus investment and it makes everything pleasant. Engineers have a few new facilities.

-Study abroad, if that interests you, is great here as it's a U21 member. For instance, I'm studying at the National University of Singapore next year as an exchange student. Not sure how comparable this is to Soton.

-SU is always ranked within the top 10 and recently had renovations. There are lots of extracurricular activities here, from languages, to skills building, to actual societies to get involved with.

-I often wonder how anyone can leave here without a grad job lined up, and my conclusion is that they chose not to do anything productive alongside their degree. There are endless opportunities, and the only way you'd leave without interviews for a job you want is if you neglected everything around you.

Cons:

-Really large - contentious but it can be daunting to some people.

-Cliquey - not too noticeable, but due to the Asia campuses of Notts, we have a lot of Chinese/east Asian students who stick together and don't seem to like speaking English.

-Hard - a friend of mine studies engineering and is told regularly that they try to make the course the most rigorous in the UK. I can't personally comment on this, but you'll study some things that most others don't until second year at different universities. No idea compared to Soton. Although, I think this is a pro if you don't mind hard work since you leave with high skills.

Honestly, there aren't many cons of Notts, and the ones I listed are subjective. The campus, academic atmosphere and career opportunities are superb.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Exceptional

-I often wonder how anyone can leave here without a grad job lined up, and my conclusion is that they chose not to do anything productive alongside their degree. There are endless opportunities, and the only way you'd leave without interviews for a job you want is if you neglected everything around you.

Hey could you tell me more about what extra things there are available to get a grad job? Do people just go to work with the people who they did a placement with? Does the university tell everyone about opportunities or will we have to look for them?
Reply 211
Pros:

-Notts has a stronger rep in a broader sense to employers. E.g. law, IB, consulting. So, if you decided you didn't want to pursue a career in engineering, we have more career fairs with the aforementioned employers.

-Campus investment is massive and growing - e.g. the David Ross Sports Village, Engineering Library (George Green) and continued expansion. It's in the top 3 in terms of campus investment and it makes everything pleasant. Engineers have a few new facilities.

-Study abroad, if that interests you, is great here as it's a U21 member. For instance, I'm studying at the National University of Singapore next year as an exchange student. Not sure how comparable this is to Soton.

-SU is always ranked within the top 10 and recently had renovations. There are lots of extracurricular activities here, from languages, to skills building, to actual societies to get involved with.

Cons:

-Really large - contentious but it can be daunting to some people.

-Cliquey - not too noticeable, but due to the Asia campuses of Notts, we have a lot of Chinese/east Asian students who stick together and don't seem to like speaking English.

-Hard - a friend of mine studies engineering and is told regularly that they try to make the course the most rigorous in the UK. I can't personally comment on this, but you'll study some things that most others don't until second year at different universities. No idea compared to Soton. Although, I think this is a pro if you don't mind hard work since you leave with high skills.

Honestly, there aren't many cons of Notts, and the ones I listed are subjective. The campus, academic atmosphere and career opportunities are superb.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. :smile:

What subject do you Study and why did you pick Nottingham over the others?
Why not Raleigh/Nottingham Two/SPC? They're next to Jubilee. :smile:

Nottingham Two/ SPC don't offer standard rooms.. I have no problem sharing a bathroom to be honest and it keeps costs down which is necessary as I'll no longer be working at a high level role in IT (for my Age).

I've had a look at Raleigh Park but I fell its kind of out of the way from the Main campus. I feel there would be more of a mix on main campus/ broad gate.. Or seen as my course is on Jubilee would it be best if I stayed somewhere closer.

I'm debating on whether to take my car or not too
Original post by Glib
What subject do you Study and why did you pick Nottingham over the others?

Industrial Economics.

I came here for a few reasons. Partially the course - most universities do 4 modules per semester, Notts does 6 - it allows for a more holistic approach to learning and I've gained more skills than I would have if I went to one of my other choices.

Ultimately, it was because I didn't think there was a better institution that can claim such a synergy of reputation and social life.

Oxbridge, UCL, LSE and Imperial are excellent, but restrict (in my opinion) the free time necessary to leave university with the softer skills built through extracurricular activities to the same extent. For instance, I'm in five societies (e.g. debating, entrepreneur club, consulting division) undertaking the Nottingham Advantage Award (which connects you to employers to build skills in things like leadership), won a national entrepreneurship competition against third years/postgraduates across 120 universities, was given a scholarship, became the course rep, got accepted to study abroad in Singapore and achieved a First... and that's just in one semester. This level of skills-development would not have happened for me personally if I was at another university.

You can excel here, the opportunities are everywhere, and that wasn't a feeling I got at any of the 15 or so universities I visited before confirming my place.
Does anybody know how long it is reasonable to leave applying for accommodation and still get their first choice? I know it opens on the 1st of March but I'm going to a UCAS visit day on the 18th and am a bit uncomfortable about firming (and therefore being able to apply for accommodation) until I've seen it in person. I was hoping to get Broadgate Park ensuite. What are my chances of being allocated a place there if I don't apply for accommodation until, say, the 19th?
Original post by Swirly123
Hey could you tell me more about what extra things there are available to get a grad job? Do people just go to work with the people who they did a placement with? Does the university tell everyone about opportunities or will we have to look for them?

There are 200 societies or so, ranging from things like debating, trading & politics to obscure things like swing. You can see them here: https://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/societies/find-a-society/

We have lots of sports clubs too and multiple gyms, including the new David Ross Sports Village.

Those things build specific skills, e.g. you can access Bloomberg terminals through NEFS if you're interested in a finance career, as well as the softer skills like leadership, teamwork, etc. that you're generally expected to demonstrate on CVs and in interviews.

Aside from those conventional things, we have language classes, study abroad opportunities (summer school, semester or year abroad), the Nottingham Advantage Award (where you take 'extra' modules that are employer-led by companies), lots of networking sessions with big companies, career fairs, and more.

It's difficult to generalise because there are more specific things depending on the area you're interested in. But, I will say that what Nottingham has, it does well. E.g. we have areas of the Jubilee campus that are dedicated to entrepreneurship, which hosts the UK's biggest competition open to students. We also come first place in an entrepreneurial/social enterprise activity called Enactus (http://enactus.org). So, if you're interested in running a business one day, these are examples of where you can develop those kind of skills.

So, whatever you're interested in, Notts probably does it well.

The university emails you with opportunities a few times a week with events and deadlines and employment opportunities. I believe most courses allow you to take a year out to do a placement year, which many students do, even though it isn't advertised like it is at Bath for example.

Some students do end up doing grad schemes with employers they worked for over summer/placement year. But, that's not what you're limited to - there's no obligation. Lots of people choose to do that because it's easier to get hired at a company that you've had experience in, so it saves them time in third year when applying for schemes.
Nottingham Two/ SPC don't offer standard rooms.. I have no problem sharing a bathroom to be honest and it keeps costs down which is necessary as I'll no longer be working at a high level role in IT (for my Age).

I've had a look at Raleigh Park but I fell its kind of out of the way from the Main campus. I feel there would be more of a mix on main campus/ broad gate.. Or seen as my course is on Jubilee would it be best if I stayed somewhere closer.

I'm debating on whether to take my car or not too

Hmm, where did you live when you first came to Notts? All I can say is that everyone I know who lives on Uni Park hates the daily commute, so end up living closer in second year.
Hmm, where did you live when you first came to Notts? All I can say is that everyone I know who lives on Uni Park hates the daily commute, so end up living closer in second year.

I previously stayed in Broadgate. I've actually started looking at Raleigh and I'm coming round to the idea of it. Where did you stay in first year? Also how come your course is on Jubilee I thought you studied Economics?
I previously stayed in Broadgate. I've actually started looking at Raleigh and I'm coming round to the idea of it. Where did you stay in first year? Also how come your course is on Jubilee I thought you studied Economics?

Ah okay! I'm still in first year, second semester though. The atmosphere at Raleigh is pretty good, but I stay in Nottingham Two. It's quieter but the rooms are a bit larger.

Industrial Economics is taught in the Business School (used to be an autonomous department but then merged with the B-School).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 219
Hey guys, is anyone on here from Bristol and wanting to do architecture?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending