The Student Room Group

Ultimate (?) Guide for What to Wear for Matriculation - Not Just Girls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by vincrows
Poor her.
Just a boring black & white for Christ's girls......:tongue:

Christ's 2016: one girl has a white blouse with a small pattern (possibly little flowers) but yes mostly plain white or black blouses.

Some of the boys (not many) have bow ties, all have dark grey/blue/black suits. All have white shirts, oh a couple of pale blue rebels. One chap in the front row has white soled shoes - not recommended ...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Christ's 2016: one girl has a white blouse with a small pattern (possibly little flowers) but yes mostly plain white or black blouses.

Some of the boys (not many) have bow ties, all have dark grey/blue/black suits. All have white shirts, oh a couple of pale blue rebels. One chap in the front row has white soled shoes - not recommended ...

Ok thanks. I'll add the info to OP accordingly. :smile:

White soles? On black leather upper part???
Reply 42
Original post by vincrows
Ok thanks. I'll add the info to OP accordingly. :smile:

White soles? On black leather upper part???

Blue suede chelsea boots by the looks of it. The rest of his outfit is completely standard so I expect someone forgot to pack their black shoes... I wonder if the photographer put him on the front row for the bantz.
Original post by Doonesbury
Blue suede chelsea boots by the looks of it. The rest of his outfit is completely standard so I expect someone forgot to pack their black shoes... I wonder if the photographer put him on the front row for the bantz.

God......
He may be just colour blind.....of blue/black/white.....:tongue:
.....or pooled from King's.....:tongue:

They usually line up all the students in alphabetical order of the sir names for matriculation photos, so probably his name starts with a letter in early part of alphabet or later part of alphabet, depending on which way Christ's lines them up.
Bump
Reply 45
Original post by Scotney
Bump

Nicely done :smile:
It's a bit of overkill really though. Matriculation is an administrative process followed by formal hall in nearly all colleges. It's just suit/female equivalent and no-one is going to turn you away (unlike graduation). This year it seems unlikely there will be an en-masse formal hall, so it's jut a series of lectures about the rules, introductions to key people and key College systems and sign that you've turned up - while wearing a gown (available from the Porters or borrowed from the MCR/JCR)
Original post by threeportdrift
It's a bit of overkill really though. Matriculation is an administrative process followed by formal hall in nearly all colleges. It's just suit/female equivalent and no-one is going to turn you away (unlike graduation). This year it seems unlikely there will be an en-masse formal hall, so it's jut a series of lectures about the rules, introductions to key people and key College systems and sign that you've turned up - while wearing a gown (available from the Porters or borrowed from the MCR/JCR)

I doubt porters/JCR would have enough gowns for everyone though would they?Plus students need gowns for formals so they will need to purchase one.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Scotney
I doubt porters/JCR would have enough gowns for everyone though would they?Plus students need gowns for formals so they will need to purchase one.

I think most of them have a scheme whereby they buy back from leavers and/or buy in bulk (sale or return) from the suppliers, to save everyone traipsing in to town. Then the JCR/MCR always have a few for emergencies.
Original post by threeportdrift
I think most of them have a scheme whereby they buy back from leavers and/or buy in bulk (sale or return) from the suppliers, to save everyone traipsing in to town. Then the JCR/MCR always have a few for emergencies.

That's certainly what we do at Peterhouse and what Queens' did (in the past - I assume they still do, but worth a check!)
There was someone in the US who went to their graduation and then she took her top off as a protest (cannot remember what the protest was about). I cannot imagine this in Cambridge somehow.
Reply 51
Original post by barnetlad
There was someone in the US who went to their graduation and then she took her top off as a protest (cannot remember what the protest was about). I cannot imagine this in Cambridge somehow.

Uh... that kind of protest isn't limited to graduations, nor just students.

c.f. Dr Bateman

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/who-victoria-bateman-naked-protest-15842046

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending