The Student Room Group

Do I have to submit the final A-level grades I get in August to my US uni?

I have been offered an ED spot at an ivy league college and submitted my predicted grades of A* A A. I know the US has some lenience regarding actually achieving these grades but I'm starting to feel a bit doubtful of my ability to ultimately reach these grades. I read online that the last grades US unis ask their admits for are July grades. As A-levels come out in August, if I don't do great could I just not submit those grades since the last grades they need are July summer grades? I can't find any info of this online.
Reply 1
Original post by cinnamonczar
I have been offered an ED spot at an ivy league college and submitted my predicted grades of A* A A. I know the US has some lenience regarding actually achieving these grades but I'm starting to feel a bit doubtful of my ability to ultimately reach these grades. I read online that the last grades US unis ask their admits for are July grades. As A-levels come out in August, if I don't do great could I just not submit those grades since the last grades they need are July summer grades? I can't find any info of this online.

Firstly, congrats!

"I read online that the last grades US unis ask their admits for are July grades" - if you're doing A-Levels, then I'd assume the uni doesn't ask explicitly for "July grades" but rather your final end-of-year grades - which would be your actual A-Level results.
If you don't do great in your A-Levels - it depends on the institution, but afaik if you drop a grade or two (e.g. maybe 1 A* -> A) that's fine by them. If you severely underperform, then they will not let you enroll in most cases.

I know that it's a lot of pressure on your shoulders to achieve those grades, but I think if you've managed to complete one of the most gruelling application processes for unis in the world, then you can definitely get those grades in the summer. Good luck!
@ry7xsfa might be able to advise based on experiences applying and then studying in the US?

I suspect they will expect you to provide some final qualification information though, in order to matriculate.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3

What college? I might know based on which one
Reply 4
Original post by Mesacake
What college? I might know based on which one

Barnard college. Thanks!

I actually heard of someone never submitting their final A-level results (which were underwhelming) and attending, but I'm worried this is just a one-off incident.
Reply 5
Original post by KeanuC
Firstly, congrats!

"I read online that the last grades US unis ask their admits for are July grades" - if you're doing A-Levels, then I'd assume the uni doesn't ask explicitly for "July grades" but rather your final end-of-year grades - which would be your actual A-Level results.
If you don't do great in your A-Levels - it depends on the institution, but afaik if you drop a grade or two (e.g. maybe 1 A* -> A) that's fine by them. If you severely underperform, then they will not let you enroll in most cases.

I know that it's a lot of pressure on your shoulders to achieve those grades, but I think if you've managed to complete one of the most gruelling application processes for unis in the world, then you can definitely get those grades in the summer. Good luck!

The uni does ask explicitly for July grades though. The acceptance letter reads - "Please be aware that your admission is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of your final year in high school at a level in keeping with the strong record you presented at the time of your admission. Therefore, please aim to submit your final school report to us by July 1st."

This is all it mentions about grades.

What do you think?
Reply 6
The uni does ask explicitly for July grades though. The acceptance letter reads - "Please be aware that your admission is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of your final year in high school at a level in keeping with the strong record you presented at the time of your admission. Therefore, please aim to submit your final school report to us by July 1st."

This is all it mentions about grades.

What do you think?

Interesting. I'd email the admissions office and clarify with them that you can't submit your final A-level results until you receive them on 15th August this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending