The Student Room Group

Radiotherapy and Oncology?!

so i haven't seen much on this here. for those who are currently taking radiotherapy at university could you please tell me what it is like. I'm to apply to Cardiff university, University of Liverpool, city university, south bank and st Georges. Please give as much detail as possible from application process to your experience. this will be really helpful for me and anyone else wanting to do radiotherapy.
You'll spend about 50% of your time on placement but how this is divided into the year will vary by uni. Some do it all in one big block but I think most divide it into smaller blocks of around 4-6 weeks. You WILL be tired on placement. Particularly if you've never worked full time before as you will be on your feet a lot and there is a lot of to learn. Make sure you look interested and ask questions as often as you like. Generally staff prefer this as it shows you're keen and most of us are happy to help you progress clinically as fast as possible as it helps us out too!! You may find you have to travel a fair distance to placement as departments are few and far between so if you're struggling with hours don't be afraid to discuss it with staff to find something that works for you, particularly if you use public transport. You'll need a 15cm metal ruler and a marker pen for placement and it's well worth taking a pocket sized notebook with you too.

As far as uni goes, it's probably no more intense academically than any other course (it was my second degree). You should consider buying some of the core textbooks as come exam time they will probably be difficult to come by from the library although some unis now have digital copies too.

Quick Reply

Latest