The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Llamas
I don't think you should dismiss the idea purely on your anecdotal evidence, I could say that while I was at school two science teachers left to teach in private schools. It may be that your local comprehensive schools need reform. I will still argue a teacher who is willing to put up with a 'sub-standard' school is more dedicated than one who will only teach where it's easy.

Not at all, unless you consider being given targets stating that you should get 80% of your students to obtain A's at A-Level easy. It would be far easier for him to sit in an average comprehensive being given no targets and just saying "I did my best" every year.

And everyones evidence is anecdotal, but what I can say is that this picture is replicated at pretty much every public school and most of the strong private schools; it certainly isn't individual to my school.
Reply 281
At the moment I'm at a 6th form college and have been taught AS Maths by undoubtly the best/most dedicated teacher I have ever met. Yet just after we sat our exams he announced that we won't have him for A2 as he is leaving for a private school as at the moment he is only renting a 1 bedroom flat in an area with a notoriously high crime rate and feels that should he start a family (he's only in his late 20s at the moment) it wouldn't be a desirable enviroment. I digress, basically he was stolen by the lure of a private school offer.
jumpunderaboat
At the moment I'm at a 6th form college and have been taught AS Maths by undoubtly the best/most dedicated teacher I have ever met. Yet just after we sat our exams he announced that we won't have him for A2 as he is leaving for a private school as at the moment he is only renting a 1 bedroom flat in an area with a notoriously high crime rate and feels that should he start a family (he's only in his late 20s at the moment) it wouldn't be a desirable enviroment. I digress, basically he was stolen by the lure of a private school offer.

And who's to say that if private schools weren't there that individual would stay? He could off easily moved to a different sector; monetary incentive is his reason for leaving, not Private Schools.
BazTheMoney
And who's to say that if private schools weren't there that individual would stay? He could off easily moved to a different sector; monetary incentive is his reason for leaving, not Private Schools.

I think it was that the private school was offering more which they could do because they weren't limited by the LEA's tightness..
thefish_uk
I think it was that the private school was offering more which they could do because they weren't limited by the LEA's tightness..

He could of got a higher wage in a different industry, though? Say if private school were to be abolished, would that school have been able to hold on to him anyway? Probable not. He wanted a better wage, his employers couldn't offer that so he left.

All this show is the limitations of the state sector, the removal of private schools won't change that.
Reply 285
BazTheMoney

Sorry I didn't get across the point, his soul passion was teaching...he wouldn't of considered a move across sectors at all (or so he says :rolleyes: )

Latest

Trending

Trending