The Student Room Group

What can RAF officers do job wise post service?

So I recently had my CBAT applying for RPAS and failed by two marks. I was however offered the chance of going for the ABM officer role or coming back and re-trying in a year.

The ABM role does look interesting but I'm not sure it'd be something I'd want to carry on past my initial 12 years service. Doe anyone know if you can retrain after initial service into another role (i.e. RPAS)?

Also I'm struggling to fine information on what civilian roles officers have the option of going into post service?
This isn't set in stone but there's a good chance RPAS pilot recruiting will have to increase massively over the next 5 years to cater for potential demand. It's not always easy to retrade horizontally across the air force but I do think you've got a good chance of it with RPAS seeing as the RAF will almost certainly buy the new Protector UAVs which are basically a more updated version of the current MQ-9 Reaper.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FreelanceGoat
So I recently had my CBAT applying for RPAS and failed by two marks. I was however offered the chance of going for the ABM officer role or coming back and re-trying in a year.

The ABM role does look interesting but I'm not sure it'd be something I'd want to carry on past my initial 12 years service. Doe anyone know if you can retrain after initial service into another role (i.e. RPAS)?

Also I'm struggling to fine information on what civilian roles officers have the option of going into post service?

Absolutely anything they like! They've got excellent leadership and management skills that make them suitable to a wide range of managerial roles. For example, currently Network rail recruit are recruiting ex-mil officers like mad, because of their project management skills and ability to meet deadlines (not something the construction sector is noted for).

But you've got 12-16+ years to work out what (if you are leaving) you want to do next and you will, in that time gain a whole new set of skills, interests and priorities in life. Many go into finance, project management, bursaring, set up their own businesses, consulting, aerospace, teaching, hotel and event management, the options are endless for a mid-career move.

It's pretty pointless to think about exit options that far in advance because you and the world will be a very different person/place.
Making paper airplanes.
Reply 4
OP, you're making the mistake of thinking that you have to stay within the same industry / job. You don't. Not even close. And, tbh, very few people these days will do that for their whole career anyway.

The keywords you're looking for are flexibility and capability.

After even a little time in the forces you'll have those characteristics in spades and can do pretty much anything.
Case in point, after even my very brief time in the RAF I spent a few years working across 3 continents as a ski instructor before returning to the UK to work in communications for a national supermarket.

Do yourself a favour, keep your options open. It's far more fun.

Quick Reply

Latest