The Student Room Group

4 days into AS-Levels and hating it already?!? :(

Hi!

For AS, I am doing AQA Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and OCR PE. At GCSE, I got an A*, 8 A's and a B, the A's included seperate science, spanish and BTEC Sport level 2.

I hate A-levels already - is this normal? I feel the workload has increased way too much for me to cope with and I'm really not having a great time at the minute :frown: I find the lessons challenging but not incredibly hard but I'm just hating it so much :frown: Any tips/advice?
Original post by missimoody
Hi!

For AS, I am doing AQA Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and OCR PE. At GCSE, I got an A*, 8 A's and a B, the A's included seperate science, spanish and BTEC Sport level 2.

I hate A-levels already - is this normal? I feel the workload has increased way too much for me to cope with and I'm really not having a great time at the minute :frown: I find the lessons challenging but not incredibly hard but I'm just hating it so much :frown: Any tips/advice?

get used to it or change to a BTEC
Hi!

Hiii!
So your problem is the amount of work and not the difficulty? In this case i would say keep your head up and keep going. You need to find ways of working more efficiently and getting things completed quickly. What do you feel is making the workload too much? For example, are you spending way too much time making your notes "perfect" or are you just not used to spending more time after sixth form on work?
Reply 3
Could you drop one subject and do just the 3 AS?

Are you sure you are doing the right subjects that you enjoy? Guess it is not too late to change.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi!

Well missimoody...
You shouldn't start negative!

BE missiHAPPY and i'm sure you'll see a change :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Hayley Williams
Hiii!
So your problem is the amount of work and not the difficulty? In this case i would say keep your head up and keep going. You need to find ways of working more efficiently and getting things completed quickly. What do you feel is making the workload too much? For example, are you spending way too much time making your notes "perfect" or are you just not used to spending more time after sixth form on work?

By the end of GCSE's I was doing 5 hours of revision per day (At home during mornings and evenings), not including school daily (I got next to no study leave). So I don't know whether it is the sudden gain of work from not having any during summer. I loved studying at GCSE but currently I'm hating nearly every minute of it (apart from PE, which I absolutely love) I don't feel I'm struggling with the sciences but I feel it might be I'm taking a lot of time rewriting/adding to notes. I'm getting homework plus note work after every lesson and I'm finding it so hard :frown:
Hi!

It has been 4 days that i started AS-levels as well and I honestly feel the same way as you do.
I chose Maths, Further maths, Physics and Biology and I am not really enjoying them as much as I thought I would.
i think it's quite normal, especially at the beginning when everything just appears 'weird' and new I guess.
Anyway, I don't have many tips for you as I am in your same position, vut I think you should give yourself a little time to get used to the whole thing.
By the end of GCSE's I was doing 5 hours of revision per day (At home during mornings and evenings), not including school daily (I got next to no study leave). So I don't know whether it is the sudden gain of work from not having any during summer. I loved studying at GCSE but currently I'm hating nearly every minute of it (apart from PE, which I absolutely love) I don't feel I'm struggling with the sciences but I feel it might be I'm taking a lot of time rewriting/adding to notes. I'm getting homework plus note work after every lesson and I'm finding it so hard :frown:

The key to being successful is working consistently, so using your study periods fully and working for a few hours after sixth form everyday and a few hours on the weekend. This worked the best for me and i never felt to weighed down with work. The BIGGEST tip i have for you, is don't waste too much time rewriting note. Obviously, you need to add to them a lot of the time, but if they are already neat then just add on to them, don't rewrite them. In the first few weeks of sixth form i wasted SO much time from rewriting everything. BE SELECTIVE in what your rewriting. I think you just need to stick at it, because with time you just handle the amount of work/pressure. You get used to it. :smile:
Hi!

Yeah, it's pretty normal, I felt the same way during my first few weeks. I can't really think of any advice cause I just got used to it in the end and didn't really try doing some new stuff but some of my classmates found that making a hw or revision timetable really helps. If you were like me in GCSE, you might have done stuff in the last minute and, I assure you, that really won't cut it in A-level.

Try and also do some advance reading, it really helps because it turns classes from introduction of the concept to consolidation of the concept. It doesn't matter if you just gloss over it. Some subjects, like Biology for example, introduces a key concept and expect you to know that concept in a snap as they use that concept throughout the entire chapter. You really have to make yourself familiar with everything. If you do that, you're workload will start to decrease a bit because instead of remembering the concepts during revision, you just have to consolidate it a bit more making it easier and quicker to do your hw. Does that make sense?

Good luck with your AS 🍀

Quick Reply

Latest