The Student Room Group

Might as well drop Physics A level?

Hey!

I'm currently a year 13 student, doing Maths & Physics A level, as well as a diploma (12 units) in Business Studies. I've achieved a grade C in Maths at AS, but planning to resit C2 & M1 alongside A2 Maths. I achieved a D* in my first 6 units, and predicted to achieve another D*. However, my other subject Physics is a bit of a problem, to be honest I've struggled especially through my first year, its the new OCR spec, and we did a mock AS examination at the end of year 12 and I got an E in the mock.

I've been to several open days, mainly interested in Reading/Leicester to study Economics. I've spoken to the lecturers and at the information points at the open days, and they've said If I get Distinction/Distinction/B in maths, I'll meet the entry requirements, regardless whether I do well or not in my physics.

My question is I feel like I should drop physics, so there's less stress going through on my mind and my solely focus can be on Maths, because I think I'm easily capable to get an A, and was disappointed to achieved a C, however has motivated me to get my head down throughout the whole year and study. However, If I do drop it I feel like I have wasted a year of my time on physics, if I'm going to get nothing from it.

My mind is currently 60% Dropping it, 30% Not dropping it and hoping for the best & 10% Not sure.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by bhfn
Hey!

I'm currently a year 13 student, doing Maths & Physics A level, as well as a diploma (12 units) in Business Studies. I've achieved a grade C in Maths at AS, but planning to resit C2 & M1 alongside A2 Maths. I achieved a D* in my first 6 units, and predicted to achieve another D*. However, my other subject Physics is a bit of a problem, to be honest I've struggled especially through my first year, its the new OCR spec, and we did a mock AS examination at the end of year 12 and I got an E in the mock.

I've been to several open days, mainly interested in Reading/Leicester to study Economics. I've spoken to the lecturers and at the information points at the open days, and they've said If I get Distinction/Distinction/B in maths, I'll meet the entry requirements, regardless whether I do well or not in my physics.

My question is I feel like I should drop physics, so there's less stress going through on my mind and my solely focus can be on Maths, because I think I'm easily capable to get an A, and was disappointed to achieved a C, however has motivated me to get my head down throughout the whole year and study. However, If I do drop it I feel like I have wasted a year of my time on physics, if I'm going to get nothing from it.

My mind is currently 60% Dropping it, 30% Not dropping it and hoping for the best & 10% Not sure.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

If you drop it, you then have more time to spend on the other subjects. So it does make sense for you to drop it.

If you continue with physics you'll need to put a lot more time into it, because you need to go over the previous year's work as well as learning new stuff in order to improve your grade. This will be hard, and will mean you're less likely to get the Distinction/Distinction/B. Generally, it's better to get higher in fewer subjects than get lower grades in more subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending