don't know what to do

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I moved to university 4 hours from home and I am now living across the country. I moved in on Friday but didn't stay the night until Saturday but saying bye to my mum once she left was the hardest thing I've had to do. I only decided 4 weeks ago that I was actually coming to uni so i feel like I've rush it. I originally wanted to defer and then work and travel for a year and then decide but I really don't know what to do. I get along with my flatmates fine and have met some people from my course but it is only the start of freshers week, and I hate it. I don't feel mentally prepared for university life. I am gonna give it a couple of weeks but I really don't see myself at uni. I enrolled today but I am putting a face on and all that. I know other people will be in the same position but I really just want to get back to my old life where I was happy coz I am miserable here. Please give some advice I really don't know what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmax1d)
    I moved to university 4 hours from home and I am now living across the country. I moved in on Friday but didn't stay the night until Saturday but saying bye to my mum once she left was the hardest thing I've had to do. I only decided 4 weeks ago that I was actually coming to uni so i feel like I've rush it. I originally wanted to defer and then work and travel for a year and then decide but I really don't know what to do. I get along with my flatmates fine and have met some people from my course but it is only the start of freshers week, and I hate it. I don't feel mentally prepared for university life. I am gonna give it a couple of weeks but I really don't see myself at uni. I enrolled today but I am putting a face on and all that. I know other people will be in the same position but I really just want to get back to my old life where I was happy coz I am miserable here. Please give some advice I really don't know what to do
    Ok, I know you're nervous and all but eventually it will get better. Just concentrate on your studies and I'm sure you'll be fine. Talk to someone about it, maybe they are having the same kind of homesickness as you.

ReputationRep:
    you need to give it time and seriously think everything through. make a list of pros and cons for staying at university and talk it over with your mum; ask her for her genuine opinion and put it into perspective for yourself. think about your future and what you want to do, consider the best route to reach that. if you get to the end of these next few weeks and you still feel the same - you can drop out and do what you'd rather do.

give yourself some space and time to consider what's best for your future and your happiness and consider any alternatives you could take. if the problem seems unsurmountable; find little ways to work through it. eventually, things should fall into place. if they don't? university isn't right for you and you should consider the other routes open to you.

take it slow, don't jump to harsh conclusions too quickly and make the most of this time :^)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.