The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Hull-York Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by 10LFC10
Thank you that helps a lot :smile: I'll get 90% on GCSE so I've been trying to figure what sort of ukcat I would need !

That's really good! I'm sure your UKCAT wouldn't need to be too high then, maybe around 640? Good luck with your application!
University of York
York
anybody made HYMS their firm choice? Out of curiosity... :smile:
I'm going to be abroad on results day. Will this be a problem? I heard that you need to confirm accommodation around this time but how will I do that from another country?
Do I need to complete any vaccinations?? Or fill in any documents after receiving an offer??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Must I get a Hepatitis B and C and BCG vaccination, and all the other ones if I have not had them yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by doculmc7171
I'm going to be abroad on results day. Will this be a problem? I heard that you need to confirm accommodation around this time but how will I do that from another country?

Hi. I'm a current first year at HYMS based in York. You will have to confirm your accommodation online so unless you won't have internet access, you'll be fine. You will be notified by email. I remember the email being received a few days after results day, not on the day itself. Hope this helps.
Original post by steamedyaoi
Must I get a Hepatitis B and C and BCG vaccination, and all the other ones if I have not had them yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I'm a current first year at HYMS. You will be sent an offer pack by mail from HYMS containing an Occupational Health form. It will explain any required vaccinations. In my experience, I was required to be vaccinated to all stated, but completion of all boosters was not mandatory at the point of entrance (I have had 2 Hep B boosters over the year while at HYMS).
Original post by manlike99
7As 3Bs
AABB
A*A*A
793Band 1

Any tips for UKCAT
How do you know what your chances are for each uni?

Like for Hull-York, someone said they have 90%?

I am a graduate, with 2.1, GCSE: 4A*S, 6AS, ALEVELS: AABB, UKCAT: 690, BAND 2
Original post by robotboy123
How do you know what your chances are for each uni?

Like for Hull-York, someone said they have 90%?

I am a graduate, with 2.1, GCSE: 4A*S, 6AS, ALEVELS: AABB, UKCAT: 690, BAND 2

Hi, I'm a graduate and got a place this year for HYMS. HYMS were really good for their interview process and got it done very early (Dec). They take your top 8 GCSE grades to give you a score when you apply. So only having 4A*s might put you at a disadvantage compared to someone that has 8 but they don't look at your A levels at all I don't think, especially as a graduate. 2:1 is fine, again they dont really use the degree class, it's just a minimum requirement. So it might be worth trying to get a higher UKCAT score to compensate for the GCSEs but if it helps this is what I got:

2.1 MEng, AABB at A-Level, 6A*s 2As 2Bs at GCSE , UKCAT score of 686 and band 2.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by branteo97
Hi, I'm a current first year at HYMS. You will be sent an offer pack by mail from HYMS containing an Occupational Health form. It will explain any required vaccinations. In my experience, I was required to be vaccinated to all stated, but completion of all boosters was not mandatory at the point of entrance (I have had 2 Hep B boosters over the year while at HYMS).

Any advice in terms of if I should apply to
HYMS?

660 UKCAT band 2
Predicted AAA
GCSE’s 1A* 8A’s 1 B
Extra 15 points contextually eligible
1A*, 4A's 4B's (I know they're terrible)
AS - ABBB
Predicted A*AAA
UKCAT - 677.5 Band 2
Is it worth applying?
s
Original post by Zain.Y
I got 2A*s, 4As and 4B's at GCSE. AAA predicted grades for A levels. UKCAT score of 630. Is this good enough? If not what other schools would fit in with the results I have achieved?

Hi did u get in? where did u get offers/nterviews?
Hi, Ive applied to HYMS for 2018 entry and just wanted an insight as to what the course entails, from people who are currently doing it. Is it a mixture of PBL and lectures, are the facilities good, is there dissections of cadavers? Thanks
so you have weekly time tabled

Anatomy
Biopracticals
Workshops
PBL
Clincal skills
Lectures
GP and Hospital placements

in ur own time you do
pharmacology
histology
and physiology.

The facilities are brill and u dont dissect anything, you look at cadavours to learn anatomy
I got an offer from HYMS this year but rejected it, facilities are not great at all compared to other medical schools. Would not advise choosing it.
I got an offer from HYMS this year but rejected it, facilities are not great at all compared to other medical schools. Would not advise choosing it.

why do you think that the facilities aren't great? Did you go to their open day?
Original post by TracyEmu
why do you think that the facilities aren't great? Did you go to their open day?

Went for mock interviews there, open day and post-offer holder day so three times. There just isn't much. Also you can't even watch half the lectures in person as they'll be on one campus and have to watch them on a screen and the signal can sometimes go off etc.
Went for mock interviews there, open day and post-offer holder day. There just isn't much. Also you can't even watch half the lectures in person as they'll be on one campus and have to watch them on a screen and the signal can sometimes go off etc.

well, I guess that's why they have opened a new medical building in Hull. now, there are more modern and innovative facilities.
Original post by TracyEmu
well, I guess that's why they have opened a new medical building in Hull. now, there are more modern and innovative facilities.

Yeah I know about that... still lacking compared to other schools. And only on one campus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending