The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

that_time
I met my boyfriend walking down the street....

Singin' Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do
Reply 21
choco6
that would be very odd! Imagine being asked out in Starbucks or something...

^o) Are you serious? Maybe it's because my friends and I spend a lot of time at Starbucks, but we've been chatting when sitting in the squishy chairs at the back, and by the men working there.
I wouldn't say it was the best place to get dates, but it's certainly not odd.
Reply 22
Wish the coffee shop thing worked for me, for some reason I seem to be the only person under 30 to visit my local coffee shop.
Reply 23
i was just sitting in a local pub with my mates after a game of footy, having a quiet pint. 9 pints later a realised a girl was sitting in front of me who was hot. im **** at picking up women, it just happens. I never really consider where a good/bad place is, i think its all up for grabs, i just trust the karma to send some my way nowadays, because its all that seems to happen to me: girls just turn up.
Reply 24
*Katie*
^o) Are you serious? Maybe it's because my friends and I spend a lot of time at Starbucks, but we've been chatting when sitting in the squishy chairs at the back, and by the men working there.
I wouldn't say it was the best place to get dates, but it's certainly not odd.

Yes, I'm serious. You may have been chatting with the guys working there, but would you ever give your number if some other customer chatted you up and asked for you number? I think it's weird because I wouldn't want to be approached at a place like that where I'm just relaxing with my friends. And I think it's odd because I've never heard of any couple meeting that way.
The GP's waiting room.
The Sexual Health Clinic
On a bus/train
At a gig
At the theatre
At a theme park
At the funfair
In the library
In the Gym
At the sports centre/swimming pool.
Via a lonely hearts ad in your local paper.
On a park bench.
Through a mutual friend e.g. at a party.

Erm, yeah, there's a few random ones!
Reply 26
gym is a good one actually, as is at a gig. Ive had sex in a swimming baths, but never pulled there.
House parties! You can actually talk (music not as loud as at a club) and there's a good chance you'll have mutual friends to make sure the guy/girl isn't a total psycho before you pursue.
Reply 28
Tasha89
are you serious?!

yes! He started talking to me. After that I would see him around now and again and we'd have a chat, as he lived in the same area. Eventually he asked for my number etcetc
Work is the best one for me :smile:. But i never seem to pull when im out in bars and clubs, yet i do when i work in them, strange :s-smilie:
Reply 30
Consie
i was just sitting in a local pub with my mates after a game of footy, having a quiet pint. 9 pints later a realised a girl was sitting in front of me who was hot. im **** at picking up women, it just happens. I never really consider where a good/bad place is, i think its all up for grabs, i just trust the karma to send some my way nowadays, because its all that seems to happen to me: girls just turn up.

:eek: I think that might be the explanation. I don't think anyone would have too many inhibitions left after that.

OP: more easily said than done, but simply having a decent social life helps. When you don't have such a great social life then it can be hard to meet new people and that's why some people like picking up on the net, through dating sites or whatever. For a lot of people, meeting others isn't a lonely process: they're with their friends when they meet someone or sooner or later, friends get involved because you introduce the person you've just met.

Although girls aren't expected to do this, learning to just start off conversations will help you greatly. Guys don't expect a girl to be a great conversationalist but knowing just to open can really help. Guys will be much more willing to start a conversation with a girl who has already said something (and it can be something as random as asking the time, I kid you not). Otherwise the guy has the fear of bothering the girl, for whom, being talked to, might be the last thing she wants. I even wonder why more girls don't do this. :confused: If a guy likes the look of you and you've spoken to him, there's a huge chance that a conversation will start from there.

And don't be shy to ask a number. It doesn't seem desperate one bit. Just say that you might need his number because he knows a good place to play tennis, because he goes to whichever uni... (basically any excuse works :biggrin: )
Reply 31
Shopping
Gym
Walking anywhere (thoguh abit hard, as you have very lil time to act lol)
etc

basically anywhere, I've seen couples start from convo's at the zebra crossing, bus stops tc. There really isnt anything wrong though only appraoch if you think shes into you too, then you may be disturbing her from errr walking? or something with her friends.
Reply 32
Consie
gym is a good one actually, as is at a gig.

Gym perhaps, but a gig?
angel156
Gym perhaps, but a gig?

ofcourse! everyone is high, touching everyone in the mosh! :p: it's great
Reply 34
Yeah, girls, in my expierence anyway, are always getting on your shoulders to dance or laughing when you bump into them at gigs. I havent been to all that many gigs, but there's plenty there for the taking at the ones ive been at.

I think that might be the explanation. I don't think anyone would have too many inhibitions left after that.

I guess thats the point. Its not the locations, its yourself holding you back and not taking opporuntities. The reason why girls seem to turn up after ive had a few might be karma, it might not be, perhaps its more after a few pints im rather more up for talking crap to a girl or making an effort to pull without worrying about things.
People who are just listing places, you have to understand that yes there are people there but you need a reason to be talking to them, otherwise they'll just think you're being a stalker. You don't just go up to people in the street expecting to get a date out of it. Be realistic.
I've gone out with/dated girls who I met mostly at:

University
The Library
Shopping Malls
Holidays
TSR
Reply 37
the library? How can you flirt and not get owned by the Hitleresque librarian thats always on patrol in all library's ive ever been to?
Reply 38
Holty-Dave
People who are just listing places, you have to understand that yes there are people there but you need a reason to be talking to them, otherwise they'll just think you're being a stalker. You don't just go up to people in the street expecting to get a date out of it. Be realistic.

That's where my comment came in. Unlike Guys, who can get strange reactions if they approach a girl randomly, girls simply need to "throw out the bait": just a quick question ("Where's the nearest kebab shop?" :biggrin: ), a passing comment ("Wow I like your t-shirt").
This will increase the chance of the guy attempting a conversation if they've noticed you or simply like the look of you.

Although, as a guy, I've done that in the past and it's worked i.e. me making a passing comment and the girl starting off a long conversation and doing most of the work, most of the time, the guy is expected to do ALL the work when it comes to the conversation.

If girls, instead of thinking they should just stand back and look pretty, just made a tiny effort with a "conversation-opener", they would increase their chances of being approached. I don't think many of them realise the torture it is for guys to approach certain girls. Many girls want to be approached, to have the guy to provide most of the "material" for the conversation, and to still be able to reject any guy cold-heartedly and then they complain if no guys approach... it might not correspond to your romantic idea of being approached, but the girl doing the first move/saying a conversation-opener is very effective because the guy will actually dare to start a conversation in that case.
Reply 39
yeah, apart from meeting through friends, all the other ways people have listed seem a little unrealistic.

Latest

Trending

Trending