The Student Room Group

How to find friends in your 2nd year?

Title says it all, M19 in London.

I missed the mark during the first year of finding "the group" to hang out with, now the only two people in my class I talk to just sit at home and do nothing but video games and reading manga, (Didn't make that up, they tell me this).

I'm finding it difficult because meeting new people is something that's supposed to be done in 1st year, not 2nd year (?)

I know the first answer would be bars, but I they're all seemingly more catered to 25+ year olds.
(edited 5 months ago)
Join groups and or societies. One big benefit of Uni is all those groups and societies! Meet lots of people and some will talk to you.
Reply 2
Original post by KemyAndrews

I missed the mark during the first year of finding

I missed the mark during the first year of finding "the group" to hang out with, now the only two people in my class I talk to just sit at home and do nothing but video games and reading manga, (Didn't make that up, they tell me this).

I'm finding it difficult because meeting new people is something that's supposed to be done in 1st year, not 2nd year (?)

I know the first answer would be bars, but I they're all seemingly more catered to 25+ year olds.

Hi there

Whilst many people do make friends in first year, it is possible, and people do make friends through University, regardless of what year they are in.

It may seem that everyone has already formed friend groups at the moment, but groups are changing all the time, and I would recommend stepping outside of your comfort zone to talk to new people.

I would say join societies that you are interested in- perhaps a video game society, manga/ anime society, or you could always try out something new. You could always speak to people from the same lessons as yourself. Sometimes your student union may also host events that you can attend. I made most my friends during second year and I am still meeting new people in third year, so it is definitely achievable! Best of luck, I am sure you can meet a lot of nice people too.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hey there @KemyAndrews !

There's no time limit on finding your group to be honest with you. I found my main group of friends in second year as I didn't get on with my flatmates in my first so I saw second year as my chance to start again and start fresh. You just have to put yourself out there all over again. Think of it like first year being your trial run so now you know what works and what doesn't and you can take that into second year. Lets say you missed out on a few social opportunities in your first, you can go back and redo it for your second! Try attending some students nights or joining a society (even things like a wine society exist so you don't necessarily have to be sporty).

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hello there,
I absolutely get where you're coming from, and you're not alone in your feelings. Making friends at university might be difficult at times, but there are several excellent ways to meet new people. Here are a few pointers that might be useful. Look for social activities organized by your university or student groups. These meetings are fantastic places to meet new people.
You mentioned being involved in societies, which is excellent! Maintain your involvement by attending their events on a regular basis. It's a terrific way to meet others who share your interests. Join or start your own study groups for your classes. This not only benefits your academic performance but also creates friendships with your classmates.
Smile, be welcoming, and approach people in your courses or dorms. Small chat can lead to more meaningful connections. Consider volunteering for activities or causes that interest you. It's a great way to meet others with similar interests. Investigate online platforms or groups that are linked to your university or interests. These are excellent for forging first connections.
Remember that it's fine to take your time developing lasting friendships. Be yourself and avoid putting too much pressure on yourself. You'll eventually find your set of buddies. Enjoy your university experience, and everything will fall into place easily.
I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador
(edited 5 months ago)
Hey there!

It can be challenging to find "the group" to hang out with, especially when you didn't quite connect with people in your first year. But don't worry, there are still plenty of opportunities to meet new people and make friends in your second year!

Firstly, remember that you're not alone in feeling this way. Many students go through similar experiences, and it's never too late to find your tribe. Here are a few suggestions to help you expand your social circle:

Join clubs and societies: Universities usually have a wide range of clubs and societies catering to different interests. Explore these and find ones that align with your hobbies or passions. It's a great way to meet like-minded individuals and make friends who share similar interests.

Attend events and workshops: Keep an eye out for events and workshops organized by your university or student union. These can be social gatherings, talks, or skill-building sessions. They provide opportunities to meet new people in a relaxed and friendly environment.

Get involved in volunteering: Volunteering is not only a meaningful way to give back to the community but also an excellent chance to meet people who care about similar causes. Look for volunteering opportunities on campus or in your local community.

Utilize online platforms: In today's digital age, online platforms can be a great way to connect with others. Join student forums, Facebook groups, or online communities related to your university or interests. Engage in discussions, ask questions, and reach out to people who share your hobbies or courses.

Remember, making friends takes time and effort, so be patient with yourself. Keep putting yourself out there, be open to new experiences, and don't be afraid to initiate conversations. You never know who you might meet and connect with!

And don't worry about the bars. There are plenty of other social spaces and activities that cater to students your age. Check out local coffee shops, student-friendly hangouts, or even organizing study groups with classmates. The key is to find environments where you feel comfortable and can meet people with similar interests.

I hope these suggestions help you in your journey to find new friends and make the most of your second year. Remember, you've got this, and amazing connections are waiting for you just around the corner!

Best wishes,
Ilya :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)

University Clubs: Explore clubs and societies at your university. They often welcome new members at any time.

Online Communities: Join forums or Meetup groups aligned with your interests.

Volunteering: Engage in community service or volunteer work.

Part-time Jobs/Internships: Work environments can introduce you to new people.

Events/Workshops: Attend local events or workshops to meet diverse groups.

Sports/Fitness: Join a team or fitness class for social interaction.

New Hobbies: Explore new hobbies and join related groups or classes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending