The Student Room Group

Doing Geography A Level?

Hey Guys
I was thinking about doing Geography A Level. Obviously this is very early, but I'm doing the GCSE this year, and so far it's my strongest subject and I really do love it. However, I do know the jump between GCSE to A Level is really big, so I was wondering what are your experiences for Geography A Level and how it is. I'm in Year 10 currently.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reinaadira
Hey Guys
I was thinking about doing Geography A Level. Obviously this is very early, but I'm doing the GCSE this year, and so far it's my strongest subject and I really do love it. However, I do know the jump between GCSE to A Level is really big, so I was wondering what are your experiences for Geography A Level and how it is. I'm in Year 10 currently.

Hi :h:

I did A Level Geography with WJEC, and I personally found Geography to be my most challenging A Level. A Level Geography is essay-based (which some people don't realise), but unlike GCSE, you have to actually explain any key terms you use in order to get marks for them. Also, your essays need to be much more detailed, and it's really important that you use case studies in your answers!

Basically, if you're interested in Geography (which you are), and are good at remembering and implementing both theoretical and factual information in essays, you should be fine :smile:
Hey Guys

Im year 12 now doing wjec geography and so far it seems pretty basic i got a B in GCSE and some gcse topics are covered throughout so the jumps not really that much so far
I'm in Year 13 doing AQA Geography and to be really honest, I really regret it. It's really challenging, most of my class got D/E/U and I honestly think it's going to stop me from getting into uni :frown:

Obviously, I don't want to put you off, if you love the subject, like doing essays and you're generally ready to work extremely hard, then it's the perfect subject for you :h:
Original post by IKEAPanda37
I'm in Year 13 doing AQA Geography and to be really honest, I really regret it. It's really challenging, most of my class got D/E/U and I honestly think it's going to stop me from getting into uni :frown:

Obviously, I don't want to put you off, if you love the subject, like doing essays and you're generally ready to work extremely hard, then it's the perfect subject for you :h:

What did you get for GCSE and AS?
Original post by MajorFader
What did you get for GCSE and AS?

GCSE = A (with WJEC)
AS = D (with AQA)

I am going to retake AS though
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi :h:

I did A Level Geography with WJEC, and I personally found Geography to be my most challenging A Level. A Level Geography is essay-based (which some people don't realise), but unlike GCSE, you have to actually explain any key terms you use in order to get marks for them. Also, your essays need to be much more detailed, and it's really important that you use case studies in your answers!

Basically, if you're interested in Geography (which you are), and are good at remembering and implementing both theoretical and factual information in essays, you should be fine :smile:

Hey
What A Levels did you do along with Geography?
I was thinking about English Literature too, depending on how many options there are, and wow I didn't realise it is essay based. I may/may not be going over to college for a taster session in Geography, but it depends if I'm allowed due to my age. What type of topics did you find the easiest/hardest in A Level Geography? I prefer Human Geography over Physical, though they are both fine. I'm more interested in countries, development etc.
Reply 7
Original post by tinyshadow0
Im year 12 now doing wjec geography and so far it seems pretty basic i got a B in GCSE and some gcse topics are covered throughout so the jumps not really that much so far

How many hours do you do of it a week
Reply 8

Wow, I never knew the exam would be that hard!
I do love Geography at GCSE, but like with A Level it will be completely different due to the essays. Do you have many controlled assessments?
Hey
What A Levels did you do along with Geography?
I was thinking about English Literature too, depending on how many options there are, and wow I didn't realise it is essay based. I may/may not be going over to college for a taster session in Geography, but it depends if I'm allowed due to my age. What type of topics did you find the easiest/hardest in A Level Geography? I prefer Human Geography over Physical, though they are both fine. I'm more interested in countries, development etc.

I also did A Level Geology and ICT, and AS Environmental Studies.

I much preferred the physical geography topics that we studied, which included climate change, earthquakes and volcanoes, the water cycle and flooding at AS, and glaciers and glacial environments at A2. We also did a lot of human geography topics which I didn't really enjoy, including cities, population, migration, globalisation and sustainability :smile:
Hey Guys

Hey!

I did Geography for GCSE (A*) and AS (A), it was probably my favourite subject after Politics =D

I strongly recommend you doing it for AS, especially if you feel confident about it. I did Edexcel Geography (both GCSE + AS), and it can be challenging at times, but the best thing to do is keep up with current affairs to do with geography, e.g. the climate change deal (COP21) that was agreed in 2015 (look it up, v important).

Another good thing about Geography is that it is a very respected A Level, because it takes into account literally EVERYTHING and if you're struggling at any time- just know you should do past papers- these will help you with your writing style, help your answers flow and make it easy for the examiner to read, make your writing clearer and most importantly, these will help you practice A* answers.

Hope I helped, =)

also; do you know what board you're going to be doing?
Wow, I never knew the exam would be that hard!
I do love Geography at GCSE, but like with A Level it will be completely different due to the essays. Do you have many controlled assessments?

No, we don't have any controlled assessments, it's 100% exam unfortunately :frown:
Reply 12
Its piss compared to hard subjects like chemistry and biology you dont feel the jump because you litterally dont use any knowlege from gcses its all new info you just have to remeber it all geograpghy is definately memory not knowlegde
I did Edexcel at GCSE and am currently doing AQA for A Level and I didn't find the transition to be that bad as a lot of the AS topics where just a continuation of the ones at GCSE..
If you revise early and keep up with the content as the year goes by since it is very content heavy, it's less daunting and you can enjoy it more. :biggrin:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I also did A Level Geology and ICT, and AS Environmental Studies.

I much preferred the physical geography topics that we studied, which included climate change, earthquakes and volcanoes, the water cycle and flooding at AS, and glaciers and glacial environments at A2. We also did a lot of human geography topics which I didn't really enjoy, including cities, population, migration, globalisation and sustainability :smile:

I'm working at an A* currently in Geography, but I once heard that an A* in GCSE is like a D/E in A Level

We're doing climate change now for gcse, and our teacher was talking something about oxygen isotopes that are included in A Level?
Original post by aamirac
I did Edexcel at GCSE and am currently doing AQA for A Level and I didn't find the transition to be that bad as a lot of the AS topics where just a continuation of the ones at GCSE..
If you revise early and keep up with the content as the year goes by since it is very content heavy, it's less daunting and you can enjoy it more. :biggrin:

I do Edexcel B Geography
How do you revise for A Level honestly? Like what is your definition of revision? For GCSE, i just go over my notes and try to remember them
but my friends sister got 6 a* and 6 a for gcse, and she got E's and U's on her A levels because she didn't revise
Original post by amy0001
Its piss compared to hard subjects like chemistry and biology you dont feel the jump because you litterally dont use any knowlege from gcses its all new info you just have to remeber it all geograpghy is definately memory not knowlegde

What exam boards did you do
Ah I wanted to do biology/chemistry (at least one)
No, we don't have any controlled assessments, it's 100% exam unfortunately :frown:

controlled assessment is around 25% of our gcse and honestly, i disliked it a lot
but I understand why its less daunting that exams
Original post by IRoranth
Hey!

I did Geography for GCSE (A*) and AS (A), it was probably my favourite subject after Politics =D

I strongly recommend you doing it for AS, especially if you feel confident about it. I did Edexcel Geography (both GCSE + AS), and it can be challenging at times, but the best thing to do is keep up with current affairs to do with geography, e.g. the climate change deal (COP21) that was agreed in 2015 (look it up, v important).

Another good thing about Geography is that it is a very respected A Level, because it takes into account literally EVERYTHING and if you're struggling at any time- just know you should do past papers- these will help you with your writing style, help your answers flow and make it easy for the examiner to read, make your writing clearer and most importantly, these will help you practice A* answers.

Hope I helped, =)

also; do you know what board you're going to be doing?

Well I do Geography Edexcel at GCSE, and I'm not too sure really. I will ask my teacher.
How did you revise Geography at A Level? I'm at an A* now, but sometimes I do lose a couple of silly marks on questions when you just don't know how to answer it.
How was Human and Physical Geography for you? Why was the climate change deal important? I think it's really good how Geography takes into account everything, especially things going on now.
Are you at Uni now?
I'm working at an A* currently in Geography, but I once heard that an A* in GCSE is like a D/E in A Level

We're doing climate change now for gcse, and our teacher was talking something about oxygen isotopes that are included in A Level?

That's really good! I think the A* at GCSE = D/E at A Level is nonsense personally. Yes, A Levels are more complex than GCSEs, but trying to equate grades like that is pointless in my opinion.

I remember studying oxygen isotopes in AS Geography, as one of the pieces of evidence for climate change over time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest