The Student Room Group

Investigating Iron Tablets Extension Question HELP!

Hi,

I need help on the following question for my Alevel Chemistry PAG:

"How might you investigate how quickly Fe2+ is released from an iron tablet?
Think about:
How you would model the conditions in your stomach
How you would determine the release of Fe2+ over time. "

Please reply ASAP
Reply 1
Original post by lfc1234
Hi,

I need help on the following question for my Alevel Chemistry PAG:

"How might you investigate how quickly Fe2+ is released from an iron tablet?
Think about:
How you would model the conditions in your stomach
How you would determine the release of Fe2+ over time. "

Please reply ASAP

I'm assuming since they said model the stomach you would need to use HCl and put it into a water bath which is body temperature so 37 degrees. Then because Fe2+ ions have a colour in aqueous solutions (green I believe), you would just measure the change in colour over time. This can be measured using a colorimeter and at each time interval you would need to quench the reaction mixture with something so it stops reacting at that point (in a cuvette separate from the main reaction mixture). Also maybe a variable would be the concentration of HCl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Hozo
I'm assuming since they said model the stomach you would need to use HCl and put it into a water bath which is body temperature so 37 degrees. Then because Fe2+ ions have a colour in aqueous solutions (green I believe), you would just measure the change in colour over time. This can be measured using a colorimeter and at each time interval you would need to quench the reaction mixture with something so it stops reacting at that point (in a cuvette separate from the main reaction mixture). Also maybe a variable would be the concentration of HCl

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

:smile:
HELP
Reply 4
Original post by mollieparsons_
HELP

Would you like me to call the police?
Original post by Hozo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I was wondering if there is a resource you used to get this information? I need to have a reference for this information as part of practical research and I'm struggling to find one that helps me understand this.

Quick Reply

Latest