The Student Room Group

How much can pure treadmill training improve a 5k time?

Do you think I could improve my parkrun 5k time from half an hour to 24 mins by just training on the treadmill alone? If it is set to a 0.5 incline to try to mimic the outdoors a little. I enjoy running alone but don't feel that safe nor like running outside much in winter.
Original post by indigofox
Do you think I could improve my parkrun 5k time from half an hour to 24 mins by just training on the treadmill alone? If it is set to a 0.5 incline to try to mimic the outdoors a little. I enjoy running alone but don't feel that safe nor like running outside much in winter.

I mean, obviously treadmill is different to outdoor running. But, in the winter especially, I've improved my running times on the treadmill when I felt too cold to run outside. If anything, I tend to run faster outdoors, I feel stimulated by my surroundings, so if you do improve your time on the treadmill, you might go even faster when you get back outdoors!
At it's base, treadmill training is still running!
(edited 7 years ago)
This may not be the same for everyone, but I find any treadmill running hinders my outdoor running and that treadmill running makes me tend to take it easier or so unrealistic slopes and there was no impact on my weight when I ran on a treadmill so I never use them anymore 🙃 So I say try to train outside, rain or shine 😊
Original post by indigofox

You should avoid doing all your training on a treadmill but it certainly can be useful . I'd recommend setting the incline slightly higher that 0.5; either 1% or 2% would be better .
Make sure that you mix in some speed training maybe once a week which can be done on the treadmill as, unless you've got access to a running track, it makes it easy to track your progress .
Running is all about being hard against the demands of your body and the conditions.

Not saying the occasional bit of treadmill work is bad, it's just that it in no way replicates running outside.

Potentially a better idea to go out during the hours of daylight and wear more clothes?
Reply 5
From my experience, running outdoors makes you faster. Also I get bored quite easily so after a while on the treadmill, it's a real pleasure to be out for physical activity!
If you increase your running speed on a treadmill your outdoor speed will improve too. However if you are running a 24 minute 5k indoors, don't expect to run that outdoors as well, regardless of the gradient etc. Running outdoors includes the wind, varied running surfaces, more balance work etc so you just can't replicate that inside.

Honestly running outdoors in winter is not that bad, especially if you're doing shorter distances. Get yourself layered up, get some gloves etc and just get going, you warm up quickly once you're outside.

Quick Reply

Latest