The Student Room Group

Will Classical Civilisation be good for a career in politics?

Hello, I am studying classical civ at a top university in England and I would like to work in politics once I graduate. In hindsight picking politics would have made more sense but I have been informed by many tutors that classical civ is actually a great degree for politics, but we don't get to study political theory which interests me!
Original post by TitanCream
Hello, I am studying classical civ at a top university in England and I would like to work in politics once I graduate. In hindsight picking politics would have made more sense but I have been informed by many tutors that classical civ is actually a great degree for politics, but we don't get to study political theory which interests me!

What do you mean by a career in Politics? Becoming an MP? Working for an MP? Civil service? Other?
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
What do you mean by a career in Politics? Becoming an MP? Working for an MP? Civil service? Other?

I would love to do one of the first two, but probably something less 'big' to start with.
Why not get experience of real life first? Career politicians are so depressing.
Original post by TitanCream
I would love to do one of the first two, but probably something less 'big' to start with.

With either of those it doesn't matter about what actual degree you did. With regards to becoming an MP, I would imagine that starts by building a close base of contacts within the party you support- the first step is to get involved at university although as you are probably aware, most people don't become MP's until later in life. With regards to working for an MP, many junior assistants are fresh grads and many MP's would be happy to take on students for work experience either in the constituency or in Westminster. With any role work experience is crucial.
well, Boris Johnson studied Classics (Greats) at Oxford as have many PMs of the past.(make what you will of that) I also think that classics is also seen as quite a classy subject , personally. also loads of lawyers and bankers in the City have studied classics so i think its definitely a good and recognised subject
The Prime Minister has a Geography degree, and the Leader of the opposition has no degree :beard:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending