The Student Room Group

Has Civil Engineering changed since 1986

Sorry it is a bit long. I have Asperger's syndrome and genaralised anxiety disorder. I am thinking of studying Civil Engineering at university. My mom is a doctor. She is a Registrar Paediatrician in a hospital in East London. My dad is a Civil Engineer. He graduated in 1986 and gained a First in his degree. He attained As and A*s in his O levels and As in his A levels. He has 29 years experience in Telecoms and working on various projects. He has considerable knowledge about programming. I was thinking that I could ask him to help me understand the more difficult topics in my Engineering degree. However, my mom said that Civil engineering has advanced a lot as compared to 1986. She said that the topics that my Dad studied in 1986 are out of date now. She thinks that my dad would not be able to help me. Is this true?
i think he definitely could help you! helping to lay a foundation for your understanding with civil engineering is possible and you should take advantage of the opportunity!

(hope this encouraged you/answered you question! if it did, could you give me a thumbs up please?)
Reply 2
Original post by iamtfastudent
Sorry it is a bit long. I have Asperger's syndrome and genaralised anxiety disorder. I am thinking of studying Civil Engineering at university. My mom is a doctor. She is a Registrar Paediatrician in a hospital in East London. My dad is a Civil Engineer. He graduated in 1986 and gained a First in his degree. He attained As and A*s in his O levels and As in his A levels. He has 29 years experience in Telecoms and working on various projects. He has considerable knowledge about programming. I was thinking that I could ask him to help me understand the more difficult topics in my Engineering degree. However, my mom said that Civil engineering has advanced a lot as compared to 1986. She said that the topics that my Dad studied in 1986 are out of date now. She thinks that my dad would not be able to help me. Is this true?

The principles are still the same. And materials or construction technology etc may have moved on a little but not so far that your dad won't have extremely relevant and useful knowledge.

Show him the detailed module list for one of the university's courses.

Edit: I've changed the title of your thread to something more appropriate :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iamtfastudent

It is completely false to say that topics studied back then are now out of date or to suggest that your dad may not be able to help you. He may be rusty on the things he has not seen for a while (and you haven't elaborated on what his role in telecoms is - is it civil engineering related or ... ?), but he certainly may still be able to help.
Just show him the stuff and he can say yay or nay.
Does your mum think all her knowledge and principles have changed from when she started to now?
I have a feeling you have taken her out of context.
Original post by 999tigger
Just show him the stuff and he can say yay or nay.
Does your mum think all her knowledge and principles have changed from when she started to now?
I have a feeling you have taken her out of context.

Seeing as she's a doctor, probably, the general rule for medicine is that 5 years out of med school half of what you learnt would be obsolete.

But to OP, it's unlikely your Dad would be able to provide much meaningful help given that he is a professional engineer rather than an academic engineer (which is what engineering degrees are really about) and also a large part of doing a degree is learning how to learn so having a tutor somewhat defeats the point.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Seeing as she's a doctor, probably, the general rule for medicine is that 5 years out of med school half of what you learnt would be obsolete.

But to OP, it's unlikely your Dad would be able to provide much meaningful help given that he is a professional engineer rather than an academic engineer (which is what engineering degrees are really about) and also a large part of doing a degree is learning how to learn so having a tutor somewhat defeats the point.

How do you come by half? The general principles will have changed for undergaduate studies? Are you a doctor?
Original post by 999tigger
How do you come by half? The general principles will have changed for undergaduate studies? Are you a doctor?

Half is a general rule which is pretty well known among the medical community, there's obviously no analysis of it, it's just to point out how quickly the field changes.

Of course the general principles for undergraduate studies would have changed, the PBL method of medical school was only first introduced into the UK for students starting in 1984 and wasn't widely adopted until the late 90s, early 00s.

No but I applied and interviewed for medical school and have spent a lot of time working in hospitals and other medical environments so I'm fairly familiar
The maths is the same, the formulae are the same, the principles are the same. Yes there are going to be different approaches to certain more advanced topics, but there will come later

Quick Reply

Latest