The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Sport and Exercise Science - Course Ambassador - Q & A

Hello everyone,

My name is Carlos, I am currently studying Sport and exercise Rehabilitation BSc (Honours) at Middlesex and I am on my second year.

I am the Course Ambassador for the Sport and Exercise Science clusters these include:
BSc Sport and Exercise Science
BSc Sport and Exercise Rehabilitation
BSc Sport and Exercise Science ( Performance Analysis)
BSc Sport and Exercise Science (Strength and Conditioning)
BSc Sport and Exercise Science (Teaching and Coaching Sport)

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any queries, I'm here to welcome any questions you have regarding the courses, I'll try to answer every question as soon as possible or find the person who can help.

I am looking forward to answer all questions related to Sport and Exercise Science, Middlesex University in general and how it feels to be a student at this university.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Carlos D'Assuncao
Middlesex Course Ambassador

Sport and Exercise Science
Below is a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) list, hope this will become of use to those considering doing sports at Middlesex University!
1. What exactly is the sports cluster composed of?
The sports cluster houses the broad general BSc Sport and exercise science course, whilst also covering the following pathways: Strength and conditioning, teaching and coaching, Sport and exercise rehabilitation.

2. What is Sport at Middlesex like?
The Sports course at Middlesex focusses on skills which are expected to be used in a professional environment.
3. When can you first choose modules?
all modules are compulsory to your pathway.

4. What are the facilities available to sport students?
Laboratory and a track at Allianz park, also a clinic room for rehabbers
5. Are there any placement opportunities available?
Yes
6. What will the course focus on?
At the centre of this course lies the scientific approach to supporting athletes to perform at their peak while reducing the risk of injury. You will develop an in-depth understanding of physiological, psychological and biomechanical theories, and how they can be used to assist performance enhancement, health and fitness

7. How is the course assessed?
You will be assessed through exams (practical and written), projects, written assignments (including laboratory reports and case study analyses), presentations and supervisor reports. You will receive feedback on your work from other students and staff, and will also be asked to evaluate your own work.

8. What will I gain studying sports and exercise science?
Our degree is broad in scope, allowing you to study the full potential of sports and exercise sciences, and gain an expert knowledge and understanding of scientific methods in sports psychology to the study of the human form. You will graduate with the essential skills and knowledge to thrive in the sport and exercise industry and be well-prepared to enter a broad range of careers working with athletes to support their development; or helping people at all levels of fitness to stay healthy.

9. Is there any opportunities within the course ?
The best thing about the course is the many opportunities and contacts that the London Sports Institute at Middlesex University can provide

10. How is the course taught?
You will attend lectures, seminars and practical laboratory sessions, and take part in group discussions, group work and presentations. You will supplement all this with your own guided and independent reading. You will put together a portfolio of your experiences, knowledge and skills, and will also spend some time on a work placement.

Thank you,

Carlos
Middlesex Course Ambassador
Sports
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
It was Reading Week for me and the Sport and Exercise Science cluster, this is a week where you study independently and you don't have to attend lectures. Most students spend their reading week at home, however I prefer to come to the university's library so I can fully focus without any distractions. This is a awesome chance to start new assignments, catch up on work that you may have not completed, and do some revision.

I spent my Monday working on new assignments.

On Tuesdays I went to the library and worked on due in assignments until 6 pm and then attended a society meeting for the K-Pop Society where they hosted a pizza party shortly after new members introduced themselves.

On Wednesday I tried to finish off any outstanding university work, and then attended a committee meeting with my society( Anime and manga) to plan for events and do some administration duties. After the committee meeting we had the usual meeting for all members start at 7pm, where we played ''Guess the soundtrack'' and charades in a group competition.

Friday I spent some time doing university work and then went to the gaming society to play ps4/Xbox, since I have a talent for fighting games I thought I would pay them a visit to showcase my button smashing talent.

This is a great example that university is not just about working on assignments all the time, there are opportunities out there for you to do something different and alleviate yourself from your academic duties. Visiting societies is always enjoyable and fun.

This week has been great for me due to the fact that I was able to catch up on work, start new assignments, and spend time with friends in societies.

Carlos D'Assuncao
Course Ambassador
My week

Monday's Sports injury and Therapeutic Modalities module was very important, this is because we had small groups from our class do a presentation about the benefits of ultrasound, this is important since we will be assessed on how to use the ultra sound device soon and must know how to operate with it and why we might use the different options of therapeutic treatment it provides. Doing this now, will help me during the assessment. After that, in order to prepare us for next week's massage exam, a mock assessment was conducted to test our knowledge on injuries, human anatomy, appropriate clinic tests and our ability to take short hand notations. Hopefully, the feedback from this mock's exam has provided me with enough information to get the grade I deserve next week.

Tuesday, I went to my work placement, from 12 pm to 3 pm which is at the university's sport's injury clinic, unfortunately some of my clients did not come to their booked appointments so I was unable to treat anyone until 2 pm. However, it still ended up as being a productive day for me as I was able to increase my clients range of motion within the treatment session, suggesting my skills were used appropriately to help my client return to training or competition without feeling discomfort or pain. Then I attended the K pop society's meeting where they were practicing a choreography from a girls group, being instructed by one of the members who has experience with dancing, so it was good to see people joining regardless of ability and gender.

Wednesday, I attended the usual meeting for the Anime & Manga Society at 6 pm, where we played ''Guess the anime character'' and charades in a group competition where both teams fiercely tried to win followed by card games and chess with the members that stay for longer after 9 pm.

Thursday I have no lectures nor seminars so I decide to take a day off.

Friday, after lectures and seminars I went to the gaming society to play PS4/Xbox and see some friends.

Carlos D'Assuncao
Course Ambassador
(edited 7 years ago)
My week

Monday was an exceptional day for me as I was able to do well in my massage exam, due to the rigorous revision I was able to plan a treatment with appropriate clinic tests for the random selected injury and stated the muscle groups affected and their origins and insertions using short hand notations.

Tuesday, As always I went to my work placement, from 12 pm to 4 pm which is at the university's sport's injury clinic, It was a quiet day therefore our supervisor made us do some anatomy revision using skeletons and tape during periods where clients were not coming in. Then I attended the ever green K pop society's meeting where they had a room for choreography and one for singing. I did quite good when singing in Korean if I do say so myself. According to me, everyone was fluent (sounded) in Korean after 25 minutes of practicing 1 verse, we did manage to sing a whole song.

Wednesday, I attended the usual meeting for the Anime & Manga Society at 6 pm, where we scrolled through #Fall 2016 brand new (and some not so new) titles of anime series and ended up watching trailers of the ones that caught our interest. After that we had the option of watching one of studio Ghibli movies 'Grave of the Fireflies' I will not give any spoilers, go on and watch it!

Thursday I have no lectures nor seminars so took a day off.

Friday, after lectures and seminars I went to the gaming society to play PS4/Xbox and see some friends.

Carlos D'Assuncao
Course Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending