The Student Room Group

KCL Department of War Studies - Class of 2017/2018 **POSTGRADUATE**

Scroll to see replies

Just paid my deposit and accepting my offer for MA War Studies. Just got to get 65% in finals now!
Original post by JLKeating
Just paid my deposit and accepting my offer for MA War Studies. Just got to get 65% in finals now!

What I keep reminding myself!

How likely do you think you'll get that, if I may ask? I need exactly 65% to get 65% overall, and I'm doing tough modules this semester D:

Hoping they'll take me if I get a bit under 65.
Original post by cran8rook
What I keep reminding myself!

How likely do you think you'll get that, if I may ask? I need exactly 65% to get 65% overall, and I'm doing tough modules this semester D:

Hoping they'll take me if I get a bit under 65.

I am hoping it's manageable! I don't know any of my marks yet - 40% submitted work and 60% exams. I've just got exams to go but won't know any marks until July. Wish I had some idea of what I was working from from the submitted work but hey ho!
Reply 143
Hi guys, I've been concerned about this for a while.

My situation is that I have strong 3rd and 4th-year grades, probably close to 3.8-3.9/4. However, my 1st and 2nd year grades are bad due to the general courses that did not really interest me much, bringing my overall GPA down to at the borderline of 3.3/4,

I am particularly interested in the King's College London MA Intelligence and International Security and MA Non-proliferation and International Security but since the website says normally they are looking for a 3.5/4 GPA, I have been hesitant as to whether I should give it a shot.

Can anyone give me any suggestions? like is it an impossible or there might be a chance? (I have leadership experience in the relevant field and extracurricular activities)

Thanks a lot
Hi, did you get any responses? I'm sort of in the same situation as you are. I've been waiting 2 months. How's yours going?
Reply 145
Original post by hadyen3025
Hi, did you get any responses? I'm sort of in the same situation as you are. I've been waiting 2 months. How's yours going?

Hi,

I submitted on the 21st of May. And I received an email yesterday from KCL notifying me of an update regarding my application to my MA program. However, as I logged into my portal, there are no new updates. There are no new messages either. The application status is still "received and being processed".

Therefore, I'm unsure what the situation is right now and have made threads to ask about this.

2 months is a really long waiting time. Did you ever hear anything back? what program are you applying to?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Gchief
Hi,

I submitted on the 21st of May. And I received an email yesterday from KCL notifying me of an update regarding my application to my MA program. However, as I logged into my portal, there are no new updates. There are no new messages either. The application status is still "received and being processed".

Therefore, I'm unsure what the situation is right now and have made threads to ask about this.

2 months is a really long waiting time. Did you ever hear anything back? what program are you applying to?

So I was quite below the required grade, but I received an offer. My offer is of course conditional on attaining 65%

Whether they accept you if you miss the 65% is another thing. Probably something that they won't judge until they see how many others have met the grades and still want to attend.

Also I wouldn't be too worried about the logging in and seeing no update. The same thing happened to me, it's probably them just sending the application to the relevant tutor or something.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 147
So I was quite below the required grade, but I received an offer. My offer is of course conditional on attaining 65%

Whether they accept you if you miss the 65% is another thing. Probably something that they won't judge until they see how many others have met the grades and still want to attend.

Also I wouldn't be too worried about the logging in and seeing no update. The same thing happened to me, it's probably them just sending the application to the relevant tutor or something.

Thank you for your message. Did you get in finally, if I may ask?
hey did you hear anything back?
Original post by Spaniard94
Hi! Has anyone here applied to the International Relations MA? I submitted my application on January 28th and haven't heard anything back since then, only that all the documents I've sent are OK for assessment. Anyone in the same situation applying to IR?

hey did you hear anything back?
Original post by Gchief
Thank you for your message. Did you get in finally, if I may ask?

I don't know yet - I'm expecting my final grades at the end of this month, so fingers crossed!

Which course did you end up applying for? My offer is for Intelligence & International Security
Joining you in September for the National Security Studies MA, anyone on the same course?
Reply 152
I don't know yet - I'm expecting my final grades at the end of this month, so fingers crossed!

Which course did you end up applying for? My offer is for Intelligence & International Security

Hey, sorry, I think I missed your reply a while ago. I applied for MA Arms Control and International Security.

Did you get to get in, if I may ask?
Reply 153
Original post by rbgpwer
Joining you in September for the National Security Studies MA, anyone on the same course?

Hey, congrats! I saw this program and was considering it. (on the page, they say it's for 2018 entry which might or might not be a mistake). I also saw that they prefer mature students. May I ask is that true, or what kind of profile you have got to get in, if I may ask?

Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by Gchief
Hey, congrats! I saw this program and was considering it. (on the page, they say it's for 2018 entry which might or might not be a mistake). I also saw that they prefer mature students. May I ask is that true, or what kind of profile you have got to get in, if I may ask?

Thank you very much :smile:

Thank you :smile: You can still apply for September 2017. I applied 2 weeks ago and I can see on the course online page that now it is still open for applications. I'm not a mature student and I think they take a mix of people from different backgrounds. I have a law degree and a first master in Intellectual property. In my opinion, if you can show you're interested in the course, they shouldn't be too picky regarding your profile or past studies.
I can see that most masters in the War Studies department do not accept applications anymore so I would recommend applying asap to be sure
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 155
Original post by rbgpwer
Thank you :smile: You can still apply for September 2017. I applied 2 weeks ago and I can see on the course online page that now it is still open for applications. I'm not a mature student and I think they take a mix of people from different backgrounds. I have a law degree and a first master in Intellectual property. In my opinion, if you can show you're interested in the course, they shouldn't be too picky regarding your profile or past studies.
I can see that most masters in the War Studies department do not accept applications anymore so I would recommend applying asap to be sure

Thank you very much for the info! I'll look into it! And enjoy your study at King's :smile:
Original post by Gchief
Hey, sorry, I think I missed your reply a while ago. I applied for MA Arms Control and International Security.

Did you get to get in, if I may ask?

Yes I ended up meeting my offer comfortably, good luck!
Yes I ended up meeting my offer comfortably, good luck!

Nice one mate. Well done, and see you in September!
I've met my offer! I was wondering if anyone had heard anything back about scholarships? I applied for the Sir Evelyn de Rothschild scholarship but know they say we may not hear until 31st August...
Hey, so I've firmed a history of war offer and am STILL waiting for the Rothschild scholarship. It's agony - and sooooooo late!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending