The Student Room Group

I have no direction in my life

Hello,

Before I start writing, I want to express that I am no way sad or depressed in my current position.

This is more of an open discussion/thread rather than a direct question.

Right now, I want it all in life but I don't know what all is. A family member said this to me the other day, ''You want it all but at the same time you don't know what you want at all.'' This is so true, this is exactly how I feel everyday.

I am in my early twenties with a part time job in a supermarket and an avid gym goer. I don't particularly enjoy my job but it is bearable as it is only part time and it is money to do whatever I please.
Working and gym is my current is my life which doesn't stimulate me enough however, I don't know what does.

I don't really believe getting sucked into the 9-5 lifestyle and allow my life to be dictated by a person who I have to call my manager. I am not naive to believe I can survive without some kind of income. Before anyone thinks I am some lazy sod that thinks I should have everything handed on a plate, I have had my fair share of crappy jobs during my teens. I just don't envision my life in a standard job - it isn't me as a person.

There is more I want to write but I can't make sense of it right now. Things just seem blurry and as the title suggests, I am very confused and unsure of my future.

I welcome you to enlighten me on your experiences, are you going through something similar? Do you agree? Anyone able to shed any light or wisdom?

Thank you for reading
I suppose you are still living at home? so effectively being supported by your family. Who's paying the mortgage / rent / council tax / gas / electricity etc?

So in the real world you have not yet grown up and started taking responsibility for yourself. Worse you are closing down future possibilities of independent action.

I hope you have a private income source because if not you are planning a pretty desperate future for yourself.

I know many / most jobs people get at your age are not wonderful but you have to start somewhere and the way you get an interesting job is by starting to work. Many interesting jobs are ones you don't necessarily apply for but gradually move into when you have proved your worth by being reliable, inventive, hardworking etc etc.

If you are waiting for a really fantastic, interesting, well paid job that's worthy of your opinion of yourself, to turn up you may be waiting for ever. In your early twenties you feel as though you have all the time in the world to find your way in life. But, one day you will turn 30, then 40 and you will realise that it is now urgent to get a good job but with little experience you will be forced to apply for not jobs you didn't fancy in your 20s but much worse ones because jobs for 20s people may expect you to undergo training and expect you will be developing yourself to take on more responsibility. By the time you are 10, 20 years older you haven't got the same potential.

I know a chap who was a graduate but spent years looking for the job that he wanted to do - perhaps the theatre critic for the Times or lecturing on being a poet or writing crosswords...... What happened? He never actually worked full time for more than a few months in his life; he sponged off anyone and everyone, got himself into lots of trouble - financial and familial. The Devil really does make mischief for idle hands. Is this what you want for yourself?
You enjoy going to the gym and have a supermarket job.

What is it that you enjoy doing? Building things, working in projects, doing something sportsy, investigating things, analysing things?

What makes you happy?

There are many options and pathways, some careers allow you to freelance, working from home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending