The Student Room Group

Failed OASC - Again!

So, I've just found out I've failed OASC for the 2nd time... gutted is understatement!

The review officers have recommended joining as non-commissioned to gain experience then possibly try again in a few years when I have had the experience within the ranks. I was applying for ATC, so I'd also have to select a different trade, they recommended flight op assistant but this doesn't appeal to me, having seen what it’s like in the tower.

Just wondered if anyone has had experience, advice or tips, or the likelihood of this been possible as I've heard once in its not easy to swap.
Hi B23V

Sorry to hear you weren't successful at OASC! :frown:

To help you out could we have some more details of what you were applying for? Guessing Air Traffic Control Officer? Which section of OASC did you fail at specifically? Could you not apply for Sgt ATC?
Reply 2
Yes, I was applying for officer but on first application I listed also listed SNCO was told to come back in 12 months. This time again applying for officer; however an oversight meant apparently the board wasn’t aware that I’d consider SNCO this time too. During the review he asked me if I would consider this option and ofc I said yes. He said that he would have to check with the president to whether I had done enough to continue down the SNCO and said I may get a phone call if I have to return and complete the process. He said that if I didn’t get the phone call, and it’s been a few days now, to apply for a non-commission then try again later when I had gained experience with the ranks. He suggested because its ATC I’m interested in to consider the flight ops role.

1st application passed first day with a marginal pass but then froze in the interview hence the fail. This application it was apparently because I sat back too much and not portrayed myself well enough.
Reply 3
I'm currently serving as an FOA in an air traffic tower. One of the controllers here is an ex FOA that actually came back as a controller here and one of the other FOAs left for NCAITC about 6 weeks after I started here, and is due to begin the JATCC soon.

So speaking from personal experience I think what they have recommended is absolutely possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B23V
He said that if I didn’t get the phone call, and it’s been a few days now, to apply for a non-commission then try again later when I had gained experience with the ranks. He suggested because its ATC I’m interested in to consider the flight ops role.

There may be all manner of reasons why you haven't received a call - it might be worth contacting OASC just to double check the outcome.:smile: You never know.
Original post by B23V
So, I've just found out I've failed OASC for the 2nd time... gutted is understatement!

The review officers have recommended joining as non-commissioned to gain experience then possibly try again in a few years when I have had the experience within the ranks. I was applying for ATC, so I'd also have to select a different trade, they recommended flight op assistant but this doesn't appeal to me, having seen what it’s like in the tower.

Just wondered if anyone has had experience, advice or tips, or the likelihood of this been possible as I've heard once in its not easy to swap.

I didn't get in until my third attempt... and then came top of my phase 2 course. My best advise, don't give up on exactly what you want to do.

I went away each time, worked on the points I was weak at and researched and researched, making sure each time I was improving.

Honest opinion, you may do something else and love it more than your original choice, or you could end up like some of my juniors that go through all of their training and almost immediately try to commission again as they don't enjoy it.

I kept going, I know it's destroying every time you're rejected but there is hope.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest