The Student Room Group

Having second thoughts on doing a biology degree

I applied to study biology and already have offers from good universities to study it. But after looking at career prospects I haven't been able to find many that I like and after thinking about it, I don't know if I even want to study biology at degree level. I mean I really enjoy it at a level and have liked it thus far but I'm starting to have doubts.
I've thought about perhaps either taking a year out and reapplying for a different course or deferring my entry year. During that year I'd study a level chemistry, as I feel that would open up more opportunities for me. I'd intended to study a level chemistry at first instead of biology however got a C at gcse and was unable to do so.
Is this realistic of me? Should I risk it or just stick it out? Also considering I didn't get an A in chemistry at gcse is it even feasible for me to do well at a level?
I'd appreciate any help or advice.
Original post by astronomy123
I applied to study biology and already have offers from good universities to study it. But after looking at career prospects I haven't been able to find many that I like and after thinking about it, I don't know if I even want to study biology at degree level. I mean I really enjoy it at a level and have liked it thus far but I'm starting to have doubts.
I've thought about perhaps either taking a year out and reapplying for a different course or deferring my entry year. During that year I'd study a level chemistry, as I feel that would open up more opportunities for me. I'd intended to study a level chemistry at first instead of biology however got a C at gcse and was unable to do so.
Is this realistic of me? Should I risk it or just stick it out? Also considering I didn't get an A in chemistry at gcse is it even feasible for me to do well at a level?
I'd appreciate any help or advice.

What do you want to do after uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
What do you want to do after uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had wanted to do graduate medicine at first (hence my choice of a life sciences degree) but a lot of the courses required a level chemistry so then I thought about doing research but I don't think I could spend all my time working in labs as field courses don't interest me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had wanted to do graduate medicine at first (hence my choice of a life sciences degree) but a lot of the courses required a level chemistry so then I thought about doing research but I don't think I could spend all my time working in labs as field courses don't interest me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true. Have you thought about other alternatives such as Human Sciences or other life sciences related degrees.

Yes it is possible that you can do well in A levels Chemistry with a bad grade in it in GCSE. You just have to work hard and study a lot for it. A B is definitely reachable maybe an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's true. Have you thought about other alternatives such as Human Sciences or other life sciences related degrees.

Yes it is possible that you can do well in A levels Chemistry with a bad grade in it in GCSE. You just have to work hard and study a lot for it. A B is definitely reachable maybe an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I've considered other life sciences degrees such as pharmacology/genetics/biomed but then again I couldn't imagine spending 3/4 years studying them.
Also thank you for the encouragement, I hadn't wanted to just carry on with biology despite my doubts without considering other options.
Do you think it would be realistic getting accepted onto a pharmacy course if I had taken a year out? And if that's a more feasible option than graduate medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I've considered other life sciences degrees such as pharmacology/genetics/biomed but then again I couldn't imagine spending 3/4 years studying them.
Also thank you for the encouragement, I hadn't wanted to just carry on with biology despite my doubts without considering other options.
Do you think it would be realistic getting accepted onto a pharmacy course if I had taken a year out? And if that's a more feasible option than graduate medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

GEM is incredibly competitive regardless. So pharmacy will definitely be a more feasible option. However it will all stem on how well you do in Chemistry. The fact is you'll be spending your gap year studying for Chemistry so with more time and focus on one subject you can probably do better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GEM is incredibly competitive regardless. So pharmacy will definitely be a more feasible option. However it will all stem on how well you do in Chemistry. The fact is you'll be spending your gap year studying for Chemistry so with more time and focus on one subject you can probably do better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right, there's probably a higher chance of me doing well in that year. Thanks for the help, I'll continue to think about it. I think it's better to focus on my final exams this year since having better grades will help me if I do decide to apply for a pharmacy course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're right, there's probably a higher chance of me doing well in that year. Thanks for the help, I'll continue to think about it. I think it's better to focus on my final exams this year since having better grades will help me if I do decide to apply for a pharmacy course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending