The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Unconditional Offer Acceptance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by howitoughttobe
It does put pressure on students, as I said in my reply just above I know people who regretted accepting their unconditional offer to UoB after getting their exam results and realising they could have gone to the university they actually wanted to go to but didn't want to take the risk. Just because you didn't mind which one you went to doesn't mean that it's the same for everyone and to assume "most students won't have an absolute preference" just because you don't is very naive. Say you had wanted to go to Sheffield the most but you were nervous about making the grades for it? Then what? Not such an easy decision now is it? It is nothing more than a bribe for the simple reason that if they were simply "rewarding students" they would give an unconditional offer and allow you to make it your insurance choice (side note: it's always annoyed me that UoB call it an unconditional offer when it is entirely conditional on you making them your first choice) that way you could use it as a back up in case you don't get into your first choice instead of forcing you to decide between taking the risk or taking the easy way out. Oh and it's nothing to do with "highly credible candidates" they literally give them to anyone who isn't borderline.

It is the individual's choice as to whether they accept the Unconditional, put them as an insurance or ignore them altogether. It's as simple as that! If they have a dream university, they will work hard to get those grades; it's one huge gamble, and there's nothing you can do to change that. Brum giving out Unconditional offers has nothing to do with this; if the person has a dream Uni they love that much, then obviously they will strive to go there. For people like myself who didn't mind, the unconditional has made my decision so much easier.

If you want to carry on thinking they only give them to people who aren't "borderline" then go ahead; I'm not gonna try and argue with you. It very clearly states here ( http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/unconditional-offer-scheme-2017.aspx ) that they're given to talented individuals, but hey, if you choose not to believe the institution giving them out in the first place then be my guest!

Honestly I really don't get what your issue is; at the end of the day they're not going to stop giving out Unconditional offers just because a few people don't like them. Calling me 'naive' and trying to tell me how my opinion is 'wrong' isn't going to solve anything. Their actions are not affecting you in any way, so just let them get on with it!
(edited 7 years ago)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by annamarshall2727
well yeah my best friend did lol

she must really have been ill-confident to do that..
It changes once you firm the offer 👍🏼 but apparently it takes up to a few weeks

sorry to change the subject ahahaha but I was just wondering, I'm going to firm my unconditional from brum so do you think it will be okay to just leave the insurance bit blank?

thanks!
Original post by polinaanastasia
sorry to change the subject ahahaha but I was just wondering, I'm going to firm my unconditional from brum so do you think it will be okay to just leave the insurance bit blank?

thanks!

I think so yeah? but i haven't firmed them yet myself so i'm not too sure sorry :/

can keep me updated as to what happens when you firm them? its proper stressing me
Original post by azizadil1998
she must really have been ill-confident to do that..

or she just knows a good opportunity when it comes her way lol ?
or she just knows a good opportunity when it comes her way lol ?

what going to birmingham when you have a good chance to go to oxford? nah.
Original post by azizadil1998
what going to birmingham when you have a good chance to go to oxford? nah.

so many people in our generation have anxiety/depression due to exam stress so i think by relieving the pressure Birmingham will probably recruit students with higher A level grades and therefore they will go up in league tables?

its clearly a really clever idea, its worked for Birmingham so far so get over it lol
so many people in our generation have anxiety/depression due to exam stress so i think by relieving the pressure Birmingham will probably recruit students with higher A level grades and therefore they will go up in league tables?

its clearly a really clever idea, its worked for Birmingham so far so get over it lol

i'm over it lol
Original post by jlennon8755
I received one for maths, although not sure if I definitely want to go there...

Hey, what are your predicted grades and what were the grades they were asking? Also what were your AS?
Original post by Azim101
Hey, what are your predicted grades and what were the grades they were asking? Also what were your AS?

My predicted grades are A*A*A*. The grades they ask for are A*AA. My AS grades were AAA in biology, chemistry and maths.

(I really like maths and chemistry, but there's so much to remember in biology (incl. loads of ridiculously long names), so that's without a doubt the subject I find most difficult.)
Original post by okayemily
It is the individual's choice as to whether they accept the Unconditional, put them as an insurance or ignore them altogether. It's as simple as that! If they have a dream university, they will work hard to get those grades; it's one huge gamble, and there's nothing you can do to change that. Brum giving out Unconditional offers has nothing to do with this; if the person has a dream Uni they love that much, then obviously they will strive to go there. For people like myself who didn't mind, the unconditional has made my decision so much easier.

If you want to carry on thinking they only give them to people who aren't "borderline" then go ahead; I'm not gonna try and argue with you. It very clearly states here ( http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/unconditional-offer-scheme-2017.aspx ) that they're given to talented individuals, but hey, if you choose not to believe the institution giving them out in the first place then be my guest!

Honestly I really don't get what your issue is; at the end of the day they're not going to stop giving out Unconditional offers just because a few people don't like them. Calling me 'naive' and trying to tell me how my opinion is 'wrong' isn't going to solve anything. Their actions are not affecting you in any way, so just let them get on with it!

Have you actually ever applied for university? You claim you have but you really don't sound like you've been through the experience. Maybe it's ok for you because you don't really give a sh*t where you go or you're not doubting whether or not you can make the grades. Getting an unconditional offer will most definitely influence someone's decision into which university they accept. If you think people are going to risk not getting into university at all by putting their dream university as first choice then you are sorely deluded and need a sharp yank into the real world. I know people who have done this and regretted it.

And obviously they are going to say that on their website they want people to feel as though they are special for receiving the offer so that they will accept it. It's called marketing and it's something universities have become very good at ever since they became less of an educational institution and more of a commodity. I went to school in Birmingham so I know plenty of people who applied there and most of them got unconditional offers. These people weren't anything special, they were above borderline and likely to meet the entry requirements but that was it.

Their actions do not affect me I just believe that university should be about the education and not about the bribes and freebies offered with it. This is people's futures here, not some package holiday deal. This is nothing to do with your opinion, this is to do with fact. And it is a fact that people will be persuaded by this offer and people will regret taking it.
well yeah my best friend did lol

Then she wasn't a genuine oxbridge candidate lol
Got an unconditional to study English lit, but was going to firm anyway. I've firmed now, emailed and they said it can take 3 weeks to change on track :smile:

I've applied for accommodation with tennis as my first choice, anyone else done the same??
Reply 33
Same! Got an unconditional for Law going to the open day in February
Reply 34
It's totally up to the individual student, they have no obligation to accept it.

Nottingham does this as well, perhaps not to the extent that B'ham does. They only do it in certain subjects and for a 'high achievers' criteria, e.g. looking at GCSE/AS results, predictions etc, choosing people who they know will not fluff up their A levels big time just because they have an unconditional. That way they get decent people and the student has less pressure however it is mutual - it's still your choice!

I got a UC from them but declined it first time around, because at the time I was drawn into the 'league tables' lark and chose two 'higher ranking' universities for my firm/insurance. Alas I didn't make the offer for either but got into Notts for the same course via clearing, looking back I might as well have accepted the UC to prevent the misery during results day. Now I'm there I'm enjoying it and have no regrets and I've met plenty who accepted the UC and are happy with it, many of them Oxbridge rejects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending