The Student Room Group

What happens if you're ill during an exam?

Like... not just a normal cold but seriously ill? Do you just lose all your marks?
No idea. But I have a question.
You know the invigilators in mock exams, will they remain the same for real GCSE exams?
Reply 2
Original post by louisaah
Like... not just a normal cold but seriously ill? Do you just lose all your marks?

If you have medical proof I think they can give you your predicted grade (not sure how true that is though.)
no, you do not lose all your marks, i was very very ill during my politics and was very sick, so i got marks on my paper, you need to tell your school, (this is an example btw) sometimes even if you have hayfever/ headache etc you can also gain marks, personally even if you are sick just like clear your head get hydrated if you can as you will feel sick on results day in the long term... try to see if you can do the exam in a seperate room if this helps also
Reply 4
Original post by louisaah

You may be given a mark for it based on how you did in the other units of the qualification but you have to have taken at least 50% of the qualification for this to be allowable. Predicted grades are not used for the marks you get.

Exam nerves are not an acceptable reason to be given extra marks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Carthaginian
You know the invigilators in mock exams, will they remain the same for real GCSE exams?

More or less, yes.
As said by the others, serious circumstances and a doctors note can get you out of doing the exam- not sure whether you get your predicted grade or not.
Being generally ill in an exam is something they can't do much about. Funnily enough I was sick for 5 of mine last year- bad exam nerves and they just put me at the back and said I could leave if I had to. Some kids who were ill that morning were put into our special room, so if you're ill on the morning you might get moved into a smaller room maybe
Reply 7
Original post by Carthaginian

I had my normal teachers for my mocks then lol. But if you do as well, it's different in the real thing. You'll get proper invigilators.
You need to inform your school like the exam officer or the invigilators. I think they inform the exam board/ whoever marks your exam that you were ill and to take that into consideration when marking your exam.
I had a serious chest infection and flu during one of my exams so they put me in a separate room on my own with an invigilator as I could not stop coughing and wheezing.
Our school uses the same invigilators for the mocks as they do for the real exams.
I suspect a serious illness or condition could be justified with a doctors note or medical evidence, however you may have to just retake it a year later, or attempt to use your predicted grades however I am not sure how true this is and if you can even do that.

Quick Reply

Latest