The Student Room Group

Do you know what career you want to do or you still clueless?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by NotNotBatman
Clueless, I mean, I'm applying to do a maths degree, because I love maths and I've had a look at the related careers and none of them really interest me. In the past I've wanted to do something related to one of my interests. I've thought of having a career in computing, gaming or music. The latter two are very difficult, but I like money too, so those are ruled out. I don't want to do something where I have to sit in an office all day, but honestly, I don't know, I'm still doing A level, I have no experience, so I don't know how it all works tbh.

Well anyway you go follow your passion or what you love. I mean yeah being a muscian the bands I listen to have the drive for music and work hard to get where they are now. No matter what you do hard work is the way forward!
Original post by loisb45
I know moving Ireland is right and you have that feeling yet have't found it with careers but Journalism has got me wondering

Have you tried doing any journalism-related work? :smile: It might also help to look into jobs you can do with a Journalism degree ^^
Original post by Pikachū
Which university?

Original post by loisb45
QUOTE=Ladbants;69432408]Good luck What Uni you applied or at?

I applied to LSE, Nottingham, Bristol, Surrey and Loughborough
(edited 7 years ago)
Clueless, I mean, I'm applying to do a maths degree, because I love maths and I've had a look at the related careers and none of them really interest me. In the past I've wanted to do something related to one of my interests. I've thought of having a career in computing, gaming or music. The latter two are very difficult, but I like money too, so those are ruled out. I don't want to do something where I have to sit in an office all day, but honestly, I don't know, I'm still doing A level, I have no experience, so I don't know how it all works tbh.

My cousin is applying to study Maths at Imperial but like many young people, he has no work experience and has no idea what he wants to do if he was to graduate from university!
This is why I am telling him that the best course of action is to do some work experience - that is what will make your job applications stand out in the future when applying for jobs, as it will show to future (potential) employers that you have tried to make that first step into work. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Michiyo
Have you tried doing any journalism-related work? :smile: It might also help to look into jobs you can do with a Journalism degree ^^

Still in college so doing my A-Levels its hard finding work experience
Original post by loisb45
Still in college so doing my A-Levels its hard finding work experience

Ah, by work, I did not mean work itself necessarily! By 'journalism-related work', I meant anything a journalist would do, such as going to a gig nearby and writing an article about it or doing some research about a current issue which could be tackled in tomorrow's newspaper. My degree will be in International Relations and I am in Year 13, so the only work experience available to me was shadowing my MP and the Model United Nations XD For Journalism, it could be being part of your school newspaper (I was the editor of my college newspaper) or just something you do in your own time, like reading about how to be a good journalist, following journalists on Twitter or something, attempting to write articles yourself, etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 66
But then I love History aswell its like you can't chose and recentl sociology has been really mind blowing subject for me and always loved History but they can link to journalism.

Original post by Michiyo
Ah, by work, I did not mean work itself necessarily! By 'journalism-related work', I meant anything a journalist would do, such as going to a gig nearby and writing an article about it or doing some research about a current issue which could be tackled in tomorrow's newspaper. My degree will be in International Relations and I am in Year 13, so the only work experience available to me was shadowing my MP and the Model United Nations XD For Journalism, it could be being part of your school newspaper (I was the editor of my college newspaper) or just something you do in your own time, like reading about how to be a good journalist, following journalists on Twitter or something, attempting to write articles yourself, etc.
Original post by loisb45
Well anyway you go follow your passion or what you love. I mean yeah being a muscian the bands I listen to have the drive for music and work hard to get where they are now. No matter what you do hard work is the way forward!

Yep, I don't want to do something that I won't like.

Original post by Boreism
My cousin is applying to study Maths at Imperial but like many young people, he has no work experience and has no idea what he wants to do if he was to graduate from university!
This is why I am telling him that the best course of action is to do some work experience - that is what will make your job applications stand out in the future when applying for jobs, as it will show to future (potential) employers that you have tried to make that first step into work. :smile:

This is advice I get from people in their 20s a lot and since they generally know more than I do, I trust their advice, so thanks, I will take that on board.
This is advice I get from people in their 20s a lot and since they generally know more than I do, I trust their advice, so thanks, I will take that on board.

Trust me we do know - have you seen the huge amounts of threads graduates make complaining about the job market?!
Reply 69
Original post by Boreism
Trust me we do know - have you seen the huge amounts of threads graduates make complaining about the job market?!

Yeah I mean you an have the qualification but you also have the experince to match which its hard getting!
There's way too much I want to do that I don't have a set career in mind :rofl:

I'd love to be a Foreign Service worker so I could work at different U.S. embassies, travel quite a bit and learn about different cultures. But I'd also love to work in national security and learn a critical language that would attract such a job.

I remember wanting to work in business, did an internship at a local commerce office and absolutely HATED how bored I was, being trapped behind a desk all day.
Reply 71
Original post by rissanicole14
There's way too much I want to do that I don't have a set career in mind :rofl:

I'd love to be a Foreign Service worker so I could work at different U.S. embassies, travel quite a bit and learn about different cultures. But I'd also love to work in national security and learn a critical language that would attract such a job.

I remember wanting to work in business, did an internship at a local commerce office and absolutely HATED how bored I was, being trapped behind a desk all day.

At least you know!! I don't what career But schools do put to much emphaisis on university when there is other options
Original post by loisb45
Yeah I mean you an have the qualification but you also have the experince to match which its hard getting!

Catch 22. Need a job to get experience. Need experience to get a job. A definite vicious cycle. :frown:

Qualifications are still important, but so is experience, transferable skills, a positive working attitude, passion, a good work ethic and your personality. If you have all of this then a job might be in the bag for you! :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by Boreism
Catch 22. Need a job to get experience. Need experience to get a job. A definite vicious cycle. :frown:

I 16 Hard get a job at moment like I got experience as I am currently in a job but I want to change!! Any advice what to career wise after this long discussion which has been interesting. I am so confused
Original post by loisb45
At least you know!! I don't what career But schools do put to much emphaisis on university when there is other options

I guess it's better than not knowing at all, but life is so unpredictable that my career plans might completely change!

And I agree; there are so many paths to different jobs that don't require university, it should be emphasized more in schools.
Reply 75
I've been clueless since I started my A-Levels and I'm a graduate.

I think I'll just set up a kissing booth or something.
Reply 76
Original post by rissanicole14
I guess it's better than not knowing at all, but life is so unpredictable that my career plans might completely change!

And I agree; there are so many paths to different jobs that don't require university, it should be emphasized more in schools.

what about people who want to emigrate like me you know that is not emphasised I mean with uni fees going up to around 10K in future no way I am studying in UK!
Original post by UWS
I've been clueless since I started my A-Levels and I'm a graduate.

I think I'll just set up a kissing booth or something.

:ditto:

Totally what I've said...well apart from setting up a kissing booth part! :lol:
Original post by loisb45
I 16 Hard get a job at moment like I got experience as I am currently in a job but I want to change!! Any advice what to career wise after this long discussion which has been interesting. I am so confused

I'm assuming you're still in school, how about visiting your careers advisor there?
Also I would research into considering options to volunteer at a charity shop or something or even register at a local recruitment agency and get advice from recruitment consultants. Anything to point you in the right direction! :smile:
Original post by loisb45
But then I love History aswell its like you can't chose and recentl sociology has been really mind blowing subject for me and always loved History but they can link to journalism.

Pssst, have you considered a combined degree? My sociology teacher had a degree in History and Sociology. I myself am applying for International Relations and Strategy and International Security with Japanese at Exeter. Pretty much every single university has at least some sort of combined degrees that may suit you better if you cannot decide between two subjects. :smile:

I used to be in the same situation when I was 13. I was stuck between International Relations, Business, and Modern Languages, though I did love History and Psychology. Long story short I hated studies do much I decided not to do psychology and I did not care much about it in the end, history did not offer me any job prospects I liked so I crossed it out, business bored me to death so I cut that off the list, modern languages was fine but I only cared about Japanese and Russian and I did not like their job prospects either, so I settled on IR, which I both had a passion for and offered me several jobs I liked. See if you can narrow down your list to at most two subjects and find a combined course for them. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending