Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    I decided on a career during my GCSEs. I will be a physicist because research is my absolute passion. Currently 3rd year at uni, about to finish my bachelor degree so I can then go on and do a Masters and a PHD in particle physics.
    Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    Clueless, I mean, I'm applying to do a maths degree, because I love maths and I've had a look at the related careers and none of them really interest me. In the past I've wanted to do something related to one of my interests. I've thought of having a career in computing, gaming or music. The latter two are very difficult, but I like money too, so those are ruled out. I don't want to do something where I have to sit in an office all day, but honestly, I don't know, I'm still doing A level, I have no experience, so I don't know how it all works tbh.
    Well anyway you go follow your passion or what you love. I mean yeah being a muscian the bands I listen to have the drive for music and work hard to get where they are now. No matter what you do hard work is the way forward!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by loisb45)
    I know moving Ireland is right and you have that feeling yet have't found it with careers but Journalism has got me wondering
    Have you tried doing any journalism-related work? It might also help to look into jobs you can do with a Journalism degree ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    Which university?
    QUOTE=Ladbants;69432408]Good luck What Uni you applied or at?
    I applied to LSE, Nottingham, Bristol, Surrey and Loughborough
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clueless, I mean, I'm applying to do a maths degree, because I love maths and I've had a look at the related careers and none of them really interest me. In the past I've wanted to do something related to one of my interests. I've thought of having a career in computing, gaming or music. The latter two are very difficult, but I like money too, so those are ruled out. I don't want to do something where I have to sit in an office all day, but honestly, I don't know, I'm still doing A level, I have no experience, so I don't know how it all works tbh.
    My cousin is applying to study Maths at Imperial but like many young people, he has no work experience and has no idea what he wants to do if he was to graduate from university!
    This is why I am telling him that the best course of action is to do some work experience - that is what will make your job applications stand out in the future when applying for jobs, as it will show to future (potential) employers that you have tried to make that first step into work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    Have you tried doing any journalism-related work? It might also help to look into jobs you can do with a Journalism degree ^^
    Still in college so doing my A-Levels its hard finding work experience
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Still in college so doing my A-Levels its hard finding work experience
    Ah, by work, I did not mean work itself necessarily! By 'journalism-related work', I meant anything a journalist would do, such as going to a gig nearby and writing an article about it or doing some research about a current issue which could be tackled in tomorrow's newspaper. My degree will be in International Relations and I am in Year 13, so the only work experience available to me was shadowing my MP and the Model United Nations XD For Journalism, it could be being part of your school newspaper (I was the editor of my college newspaper) or just something you do in your own time, like reading about how to be a good journalist, following journalists on Twitter or something, attempting to write articles yourself, etc.

ReputationRep:
    But then I love History aswell its like you can't chose and recentl sociology has been really mind blowing subject for me and always loved History but they can link to journalism.

(Original post by Michiyo)
    Ah, by work, I did not mean work itself necessarily! By 'journalism-related work', I meant anything a journalist would do, such as going to a gig nearby and writing an article about it or doing some research about a current issue which could be tackled in tomorrow's newspaper. My degree will be in International Relations and I am in Year 13, so the only work experience available to me was shadowing my MP and the Model United Nations XD For Journalism, it could be being part of your school newspaper (I was the editor of my college newspaper) or just something you do in your own time, like reading about how to be a good journalist, following journalists on Twitter or something, attempting to write articles yourself, etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well anyway you go follow your passion or what you love. I mean yeah being a muscian the bands I listen to have the drive for music and work hard to get where they are now. No matter what you do hard work is the way forward!
    Yep, I don't want to do something that I won't like.

(Original post by Boreism)
    My cousin is applying to study Maths at Imperial but like many young people, he has no work experience and has no idea what he wants to do if he was to graduate from university!
    This is why I am telling him that the best course of action is to do some work experience - that is what will make your job applications stand out in the future when applying for jobs, as it will show to future (potential) employers that you have tried to make that first step into work.
    This is advice I get from people in their 20s a lot and since they generally know more than I do, I trust their advice, so thanks, I will take that on board.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is advice I get from people in their 20s a lot and since they generally know more than I do, I trust their advice, so thanks, I will take that on board.
    Trust me we do know - have you seen the huge amounts of threads graduates make complaining about the job market?!

ReputationRep:
    Trust me we do know - have you seen the huge amounts of threads graduates make complaining about the job market?!
    Yeah I mean you an have the qualification but you also have the experince to match which its hard getting!

ReputationRep:
    There's way too much I want to do that I don't have a set career in mind :rofl:

I'd love to be a Foreign Service worker so I could work at different U.S. embassies, travel quite a bit and learn about different cultures. But I'd also love to work in national security and learn a critical language that would attract such a job.

I remember wanting to work in business, did an internship at a local commerce office and absolutely HATED how bored I was, being trapped behind a desk all day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rissanicole14)
    There's way too much I want to do that I don't have a set career in mind :rofl:

I'd love to be a Foreign Service worker so I could work at different U.S. embassies, travel quite a bit and learn about different cultures. But I'd also love to work in national security and learn a critical language that would attract such a job.

I remember wanting to work in business, did an internship at a local commerce office and absolutely HATED how bored I was, being trapped behind a desk all day.
    At least you know!! I don't what career But schools do put to much emphaisis on university when there is other options
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah I mean you an have the qualification but you also have the experince to match which its hard getting!
    Catch 22. Need a job to get experience. Need experience to get a job. A definite vicious cycle.

Qualifications are still important, but so is experience, transferable skills, a positive working attitude, passion, a good work ethic and your personality. If you have all of this then a job might be in the bag for you!

ReputationRep:
    Catch 22. Need a job to get experience. Need experience to get a job. A definite vicious cycle.
    I 16 Hard get a job at moment like I got experience as I am currently in a job but I want to change!! Any advice what to career wise after this long discussion which has been interesting. I am so confused

ReputationRep:
    At least you know!! I don't what career But schools do put to much emphaisis on university when there is other options
    I guess it's better than not knowing at all, but life is so unpredictable that my career plans might completely change!

And I agree; there are so many paths to different jobs that don't require university, it should be emphasized more in schools.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I've been clueless since I started my A-Levels and I'm a graduate.

I think I'll just set up a kissing booth or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rissanicole14)
    I guess it's better than not knowing at all, but life is so unpredictable that my career plans might completely change!

And I agree; there are so many paths to different jobs that don't require university, it should be emphasized more in schools.
    what about people who want to emigrate like me you know that is not emphasised I mean with uni fees going up to around 10K in future no way I am studying in UK!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by UWS)
    I've been clueless since I started my A-Levels and I'm a graduate.

I think I'll just set up a kissing booth or something.
    :ditto:

Totally what I've said...well apart from setting up a kissing booth part! :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I 16 Hard get a job at moment like I got experience as I am currently in a job but I want to change!! Any advice what to career wise after this long discussion which has been interesting. I am so confused
    I'm assuming you're still in school, how about visiting your careers advisor there?
    Also I would research into considering options to volunteer at a charity shop or something or even register at a local recruitment agency and get advice from recruitment consultants. Anything to point you in the right direction!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.