The Student Room Group

Advice on how to be a Tutor??

So, my school is doing this thing where the Year 13's will teach AS to Year 12's. Since for the sciences, we need to recall both AS and A2. I've signed up and they gave me two girls whom I'll meet on Wednesday. The thing is I've never taught anyone before, well not seriously, like they never fully depended on me. So do you guys have any tips and how should I start my first session?
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
So, my school is doing this thing where the Year 13's will teach AS to Year 12's. Since for the sciences, we need to recall both AS and A2. I've signed up and they gave me two girls whom I'll meet on Wednesday. The thing is I've never taught anyone before, well not seriously, like they never fully depended on me. So do you guys have any tips and how should I start my first session?

Hi! I did a fair amount of private tutoring in the past so hopefully can help out a bit :smile:

I would suggest having a quick look through your notes from your AS year to figure out what kind of topics they're doing at the moment in class (or just ask them/ their teacher). Think about the bits you/ your classmates struggled with in those topics.

Also, think about what your approach to tutoring will be - do you intend to set loads of questions yourself/ work from a textbook or revision guide/ just help them through their homework from class? Your teacher should be able to advise you on what approach they are expecting, or if not you can email your two students to ask what would suit them best - do they need extra help understanding things from class, or do they need pushing up to top A grades?

Depending on the approach:

- If you're going to be setting lots of questions yourself, I'd say start your first session with a mini quiz on topics they should have covered to get an idea of what level they are at and where exactly they need help.

- If you're going to be relying on a textbook/ revision guide, bring along the relevant book and ask your students to work through some of the questions on the relevant chapter, helping them when they get stuck

- If you're planning to just help them with classwork/ homework, try and bring along a copy of the textbook they are using so you can refer to it and go through exercises from it

I would say the key thing you want to get from the first session is an idea of what level they are at and what exactly they hope to gain from these sessions :smile: If it's expected, set a small amount of homework (e.g. some exercises from the textbook, or a past paper question) too, so they are aware of your expectations from them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest