The Student Room Group

Is an art foundation course necessary??

I'm currently in Year 12 and have been thinking about my uni options - I'm pretty sure I want to do a BA illustration course (at Falmouth Uni preferably) so is an art foundation course necessary? I know many people do a foundation course to explore all the different pathways in the art industry, but also to build a portfolio/improve art skills. My dad says I should just go straight into a BA Illustration degree but I keep telling him it's free - although at Falmouth I think you have to pay a couple hundred quid??
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
I'm currently in Year 12 and have been thinking about my uni options - I'm pretty sure I want to do a BA illustration course (at Falmouth Uni preferably) so is an art foundation course necessary? I know many people do a foundation course to explore all the different pathways in the art industry, but also to build a portfolio/improve art skills. My dad says I should just go straight into a BA Illustration degree but I keep telling him it's free - although at Falmouth I think you have to pay a couple hundred quid??

Falmouth have closed their Foundation diploma course https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/14-20-november-2016/falmouth-university-temporarily-scrap-expensive-art-design-foundation-course/
It's unlikely to be re-opened

An art foundation isn't just to explore different pathways though - it's a year dedicated to you developing your style and your abilities (as well as building up a portfolio).

Your best bet is to apply to both degrees and foundation diploma courses in Year 13. If you don't get any offers for the degree courses (or don't get offers from any courses you want to do) then you have the fall back of the foundation diploma year to improve and refine your portfolio before trying again.

Remember though when you apply in yr 13 you will be competing for places against people who are a year ahead of you and most of the way through a foundation diploma - so if you aren't successful don't assume that means you aren't good enough. It's just that unfortunately A levels aren't as good a preparation for a creative degree as a foundation - so you need a bit more time to get ready.

Quick Reply

Latest