The Student Room Group

I just want one offer... please - just one!

I know it's only been a month since I sent in my UCAS, but I've heard nothing except an email from Birmingham telling me that my application has been passed on to an admissions tutor for "further consideration".

I would feel so much better and could relax into doing my work, if I only had at least ONE offer!

<dying here>

For context, I've applied to Birmingham, Cambridge (March round), Exeter, UCL and York. I'm ******** myself that I've aimed too high, even though my grades and predictions couldn't be better (24 distinctions, 21 predicted distinctions).

Anyone else sitting there thinking, "please - just one - please - just one"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rattie
I know it's only been a month since I sent in my UCAS, but I've heard nothing except an email from Birmingham telling me that my application has been passed on to an admissions tutor for "further consideration".

I would feel so much better and could relax into doing my work, if I only had at least ONE offer!

<dying here>

For context, I've applied to Birmingham, Cambridge (March round), Exeter, UCL and York. I'm ******** myself that I've aimed too high, even though my grades and predictions couldn't be better (24 distinctions, 21 predicted distinctions).

You should have applied to Derby, and you still can if it goes to clearing. I guess you will get a place if you do. What is the degree you want to do??
Original post by Rattie

<dying here>

If you are doing an access course it might well take a little longer as it's not a 'normal' qualification and those taking it often have unusual backgrounds which require detailed consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same, sent my application a month today and no rejections and no offers. Just want AN OFFER. :frown:
They have until may and some universities don't look at any applications until the January deadline so be patient.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
If you are doing an access course it might well take a little longer as it's not a 'normal' qualification and those taking it often have unusual backgrounds which require detailed consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a very good point; although I keep being told again and again that Access is well-recognised qualification, admissions people and subject tutors at open days I went to often just looked at me a little blankly when I said "Access to HE"…
Reply 6
Same here! I only applied to one university on 7th December, though, so one offer is all I can get at best :laugh:
Reply 7
Original post by john2054
You should have applied to Derby, and you still can if it goes to clearing. I guess you will get a place if you do. What is the degree you want to do??

Derby? Why??

I did consider a couple of universities with lower entry requirements than the ones I've applied to, which I'm guessing would have been more likely to net me an offer, but I didn't like them on visiting (to put it bluntly, the student ambassadors and prospective students at, e.g., Lincoln didn't seem as… sparky). I don't want to spend 30k on somewhere I don't want to go to.
Reply 8
I didn't forget about closure, but tell my anxious brain that :biggrin:

Reply 9
Forgot to say, I'm applying for English lit.

When it comes to it being an Access course, lots of my classmates have at least a couple of offers, many of whom only submitted right before the deadline <waaiil>
Reply 10

So, I looked at Derby's website.

"There are no exams and forms of assessment include seminar debates, group presentations and conference papers alongside essays and longer research projects."

Er - no.
Reply 11
When it comes to unusual backgrounds, I DO have a GCSE in English lit at a grade D, which might be a tad off-putting :biggrin:
Reply 12
Don't panic - no news isn't bad news! Even if you do get rejected from all of them (I did in my first round of applications), there is UCAS Extra and clearing/adjustment, and you can always take a gap year and reapply if you feel like that's what you want to do! On my second round of applications my offer didn't come through until just before easter!
Reply 13
Original post by ax12
Don't panic - no news isn't bad news! Even if you do get rejected from all of them (I did in my first round of applications), there is UCAS Extra and clearing/adjustment, and you can always take a gap year and reapply if you feel like that's what you want to do! On my second round of applications my offer didn't come through until just before easter!

Easter?!! :frown:

Thanks for the reassurance :smile:
Original post by Rattie
When it comes to unusual backgrounds, I DO have a GCSE in English lit at a grade D, which might be a tad off-putting :biggrin:

Could be part of the delay.

Ignore the Derby posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Rattie

<dying here>

What does Cambridge (March round) mean? I thought you could only apply on Oct 15 for oxbridge.
Original post by Rattie
So, I looked at Derby's website.

"There are no exams and forms of assessment include seminar debates, group presentations and conference papers alongside essays and longer research projects."

Er - no.

Original post by ageshallnot
Could be part of the delay.

Ignore the Derby posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went to Derby, and did two third year English units, one in Shakespeare the other in black and ethnic literature. True there were no exams, but you know, I did lots of exams for the Sociology side of my degree.

Actually it is a great university, with a great lecturer base (at least from the ones i met), a great student mix, and a great support network. Just because they may not rank very highly on the guardian website, i don't think this matters. Actually as i just said, here at Derby, you really feel like you belong to something greater, which you would understand if you visited. And the fact that the English is based on coursework and practicals, is only a plus from me.

What is the advantage of doing exams?
Reply 17
And the fact that the English is based on coursework and practicals, is only a plus from me.

What is the advantage of doing exams?

I prefer exam- and essay-based assessment. As an autistic person, preparing and presenting a group presentation is my idea of the worst possible level of hell :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by k0g
What does Cambridge (March round) mean? I thought you could only apply on Oct 15 for oxbridge.

Mature colleges at Cambridge have a March deadline too, to take account of the fact that lots of mature students do one-year courses so won't have much opportunity to have demonstrated their ability by October. They do a mini-pool with all the mature colleges in it, too.
No news is good news - it means your application is still under consideration. It's not like they took one look at your application and rejected you.

Latest

Trending

Trending