The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
amazingtrade
When you graduate would you use BSc or BA or any other letters you have after your name?

I think I would only ever use it in a professional situation. I certainly won't be sigining all my letters BSc :biggrin:

hehe- i'd sign xmas cards and the like... or maybe wait for the Masters before putting it on everything... would definately used Dr if I got a PhD!!! :biggrin: ... but thats wither a long way off, or a very faint dream
Reply 2
Mr Cossack BA doesnt really have a ring to it - ill have to wait untill Im Dr Cossack
Reply 3
well, i probably won't want to admit to being a lawyer since it instills immediate hate so probably not.
Reply 4
I will never be a doctor but a masters is quite possible. I should do an arts masters just to be a twat.

Amazingtrade, Bsc, MA, MBA*, DipSHiT

*If I decide to go into business management when I am old and grey :biggrin:
Reply 5
Some cheques I get have J. Bloggs BSc or something like that.

They do indeed seem like twats.
Reply 6
Invisible
What's wrong with putting that after your name? Getting a good degree is certainly an achievement, the majority of people don't get any degree whatsoever, never mind a good degree as well.

I think its more of a case that why would other people really give a sh*t if you have a degree or not? They probably wouldn't. Employers will know you have a degree, any business clients considering lending you money will know you have a degree etc. However somthing like a business plan is probably the only thing I will put BSc on.

I think people that sign general letters with Bsc (Hons) or BA (Hons) just make them selves luck twats unless its a joke sent to friends etc.
Reply 7
Invisible
I'm doing an MPhys though. :smile:

Anyway, don't they call an Oxford degree, oxon?

e.g.) MPhys Oxon

Or something like that? :confused:

Yeh, Oxon. Cantab. Dunhelm. : These are worth putting after your name.

BSc. BA. (by themselves) - look a bit crap. I think LLB looks better, for some reason though (and not just because it's a law degree :biggrin:).
Reply 8
piginapoke
I agree. And letters from professional societies look good too, so join them folks.

Indeed, and it's more interesting for other people - they can try to work out what all the letter mean.
Reply 9
Pencil Queen
Totally pointless - people who use letters after their name in anything but the most professional of circumstances (ie in a CV etc) just look like they have something to prove...

i'll have to start looking at a completely different way in how to sign my christmas cards then :tongue:
Reply 10
mobbdeeprob
Yeh, Oxon. Cantab. Dunhelm. : These are worth putting after your name.

BSc. BA. (by themselves) - look a bit crap. I think LLB looks better, for some reason though (and not just because it's a law degree :biggrin:).

LLBs are more exclusive - it's definately a law degree, no one can mistake if for a degree in Surfing Theory or something.
Reply 11
Pencil Queen
Totally pointless - people who use letters after their name in anything but the most professional of circumstances (ie in a CV etc) just look like they have something to prove...

I agree.

Lord knows how I will ever manage to find work; I didn't even apply to Oxbridge. :wink:
Reply 12
piginapoke
Maybe I should put 'passed the cycling proficiency test' after my name.

Don't forget 25m swimming badge.
Lord Huntroyde
LLBs are more exclusive - it's definately a law degree, no one can mistake if for a degree in Surfing Theory or something.

True - it has a nice ring to it too. :biggrin:

The title that makes make laugh the most is probably "The Right Honorable" so-and-so. It just sounds like the most pretentious thing ever.
Reply 14
Lord Huntroyde

as with MB ChB. quite a few people who are doctors don't bother writing "Dr" infront of their name, but put the MB ChB. and others afterwards.
Reply 15
my flute teacher signed an xmas card to me with her qualifications on as a joke. it went

mrs jane rose BA (HONS) music PGCE
lol, it made me laugh. i wouldnt be bothered to do all that....waste of ink..
Reply 16
piginapoke
I haven't got one, I think I was skiving. I've got one for throwing a ball quite a long way though.

I haven't gone any swimming badges :frown:

Though I can swim - how can I prove this to prospective employers?
neha p
my flute teacher signed an xmas card to me with her qualifications on as a joke. it went

mrs jane rose BA (HONS) music PGCE
lol, it made me laugh. i wouldnt be bothered to do all that....waste of ink..

It's funny you should mention music! The Head of Music, at my school, has about six or seven titles after his name! And half of them I don't understand at all, lol.
Reply 18
mobbdeeprob
It's funny you should mention music! The Head of Music, at my school, has about six or seven titles after his name! And half of them I don't understand at all, lol.

i no! those are the only ones i can remember. she was telling me the PGCE part has to do with being able to teach, but it was all to confusing! :rolleyes:
Reply 19
piginapoke
Bring a paddling pool.

You've just reminded me about the brilliant subject of telling complete and utter porkies on your cv. Tell your prospective employers you've got grade 8 in the harp or something, they'll never find out that you haven't.

Very true, and even if they ask you to play the harp at some strange ceremony - how hard can it be?

Latest

Trending

Trending