The Student Room Group

Mental health crisis in A Levels!

Hi everyone
I'll keep it short - I have AAB(E) at AS level (I'm not continuing with the E subject) and I'm predicted AAA at A2. Other the past month I've been kicked out of home and my mental health has deteriorated. I've been experiencing psychotic episodes and manic depression. I'm getting a lot of psychiatric help and there's a possibility of voluntary admission into psychiatric hospital.

At the moment everything is a hundred times worse because I am so worried about the school I'm missing (3 weeks now) and that I won't be able to do my exams if I'm in hospital/having another breakdown.

What will happen if I am too ill to take the exams? Can predicted grades be awarded? I don't know if I can face doing another year of school.

Any replies would be gratefully accepted
Sounds like it's a really difficult time for you.

Really glad you're getting some help and support.

Does school know the situation? If not, you should tell them so they can arrange more support e.g. teachers to set you work while you're absent.

There is still a long way to go before the exams so there's no need to panic.

I am not totally sure of the situation if you are unable to take some or all of your exams for medical reasons. I think that you have to have completed a certain proportion of the assessment before any grade can be awarded. Again, your school's exams office should be able to help.

I have tagged in a couple of people who, I think, work as exams officers in schools as they may be able to give you clearer information.

I hope things start to improve soon.

Spoiler

Original post by louisedrake
Hi everyone
I'll keep it short - I have AAB(E) at AS level (I'm not continuing with the E subject) and I'm predicted AAA at A2. Other the past month I've been kicked out of home and my mental health has deteriorated. I've been experiencing psychotic episodes and manic depression. I'm getting a lot of psychiatric help and there's a possibility of voluntary admission into psychiatric hospital.

At the moment everything is a hundred times worse because I am so worried about the school I'm missing (3 weeks now) and that I won't be able to do my exams if I'm in hospital/having another breakdown.

What will happen if I am too ill to take the exams? Can predicted grades be awarded? I don't know if I can face doing another year of school.

Any replies would be gratefully accepted

Sorry you are having such a tough time. It's good to see you are getting the help you need.
Your first priorities need to be your health and home situation. Obviously I don't know how severe your problems are or how long it might take to enable you to manage them. However long it takes, there will always be options available to you so try not to worry about what might or might not happen with your A levels this year (easy for me to say I know).

When you feel up to it, but as soon as possible, make sure a staff member you trust at school is fully aware of your situation. They should be able to arrange support to help you. If you have made a UCAS application for this year they can contact universities who might then be more flexible in assessing your results.

Regarding missing exams if you are unwell or hospitalised, the basic principle is that you have to complete a certain proportion of the assessments to be awarded estimated grades for missed components. What that means will depend on which subjects you are taking, how much each component is worth and whether they are modular A levels or the new linear subjects. Your exams office can advise you in more detail, talk to them when you are ready, they will be understanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest