The Student Room Group

Should I study Further Maths at A level?

I am currently preparing for my GCSEs and choosing my A level options. I want to either do Chemical Engineering or Natural Sciences at university (preferably at a university like Cambridge or Imperial). I am predicted a 9 in Maths, and A*s in Chemistry and in Physics. Personally, I don't really want to do Further Maths, but I'm wondering whether or not I should do it if I want to get into a good university. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Thanks for the replies everybody! Listening to all of you advice I have decided that I will take Further Maths at A level.
(edited 7 years ago)
what are ur math grades?
Reply 2
Original post by Mollik
I am currently preparing for my GCSEs and choosing my A level options. I want to either do Chemical Engineering or Natural Sciences at university (preferably at a university like Cambridge or Imperial). I am predicted a 9 in Maths, and A*s in Chemistry in Physics. Personally, I don't really want to do Further Maths, but I'm wondering whether or not I should do it if I want to get into a good university. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

do it! it's a lot of fun and looks reeally good for applying for STEM subjects at russell group unis :smile:
Original post by Mollik
I am currently preparing for my GCSEs and choosing my A level options. I want to either do Chemical Engineering or Natural Sciences at university (preferably at a university like Cambridge or Imperial). I am predicted a 9 in Maths, and A*s in Chemistry in Physics. Personally, I don't really want to do Further Maths, but I'm wondering whether or not I should do it if I want to get into a good university. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Why don't you want to study it?!!
maths is the most wanted subject everywhere
you know i was gonna d obio chemand psychology
but changed it to matsh
i meanif ur predicted a 9 theni ts probably cause ur amazing at it
duhhh
so 10000000% you should take it
Original post by Mollik
Reply 5
Imperial requires you to do further maths for any engineering course. I know, since I almost had to take a gap year but they accepted me on a condition of A*A*A*AA
Reply 6
I find it doubtful that you truly want to study chemical engineering or (physical) natural sciences if you don't want to do further maths.
Original post by alnzour
Imperial requires you to do further maths for any engineering course. I know, since I almost had to take a gap year but they accepted me on a condition of A*A*A*AA

No they don't, it's desirable but not a necessity.
Yes, even if you want to do medicine you must do further mathematics or no one will take you, if you don't do it then your engineering application will not even be considered.
Original post by Mollik

Any engineering or physical sciences candidate should take further maths if it is available. It gives you a better preparation for undergraduate study, allows you to present as a better candidate, and ensures you will never have to answer the embarrassing question, for such a candidate, Why didn't you take FM?

If a university states a subject is desirable it means that those who do not have it (but who could) will be less desirable, other things being equal.
Further Maths is the best A-level.
It's very desirable at universities such as Cambridge and Imperial like you mentioned, I'd highly recommend you take it!
I know someone who got into Natural Sciences at Cambridge without further maths, but it's up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest