The Student Room Group

Royal College of Art 2017 applications

Hello!

I joined the forum today because I'm interested in chatting to other people who are applying this year to the RCA.

We're suppose to hear back by the 17th of Feb and from the discussions on this site in the last few years it seems like some departments go through the international applicants first so maybe there will be some users on this forum who have already heard back? :smile:

I'm EU but based in the UK, hoping to be interviewed for the Contemporary Art Practice MFA, specifically the moving image pathway.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I also joined TSR today, after I saw your post!
I'm Italian and I'm currently studying in Italy, but I still haven't heard anything from RCA.
I've applied for the MA Service Design :smile:
Hello friends, I also just registered after I saw your question.

I did apply for Product design got invitation yesterday for 21 February, but also im international student from southamerica, so that will be the difference, paperwork, etc.
Original post by carlodelmazo
Hello friends, I also just registered after I saw your question.

I did apply for Product design got invitation yesterday for 21 February, but also im international student from southamerica, so that will be the difference, paperwork, etc.

Congratulations! Will you be doing a skype interview?
Original post by francescafra
Hi! I also joined TSR today, after I saw your post!
I'm Italian and I'm currently studying in Italy, but I still haven't heard anything from RCA.
I've applied for the MA Service Design :smile:

Hi!

:K: Today I realised I can see that some elements of my portfolio has been seen via Vimeo on the 25th... So I'm extra nervous now
Original post by Echo_in_hall
Hi!

:K: Today I realised I can see that some elements of my portfolio has been seen via Vimeo on the 25th... So I'm extra nervous now

Good luck!! I checked my vids but I don't have a pro account so I cannot see my stats (I'm too curious!) :frown:
I'm so nervous too, I'm checking my emails like 10 times an hour :biggrin:
Congratulations! Will you be doing a skype interview?

I will go to the interview, I have strong conviction that face to face communication is better for me so they can feel my desire to study there and determination to be ready to jump any time and start working, I´ll be there, and also at least I want to see how it is feels to be inside Royal College at least once in life.

About Vimeo, indeed, I got some views from UK as I submitted some works through Vimeo also, I think they are from them, because they are from post 16 January (when I submitted my application). Have to say that my Vimeo channel is not popular at all, so its noticeable the traffic, got in each video that I submitted for my application 1 view from United Kingdom and thats from them Im sure, as those videos weren't promoted or post in Facebook, etc. Because they are just design process of my projects, more academic and to show how the project was made.

I wish you friends best luck in your application, and is true, waiting hurts inside as you had put your feelings and aims on it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Hello! I applied for RCA Information Experience Design and have an interview really soon 22nd Feb... anyone else applying for this? Or know anything about interviews at RCA? So nervous! (EU applicant)
Hi !
I'm from the uk
I've applied for Vis com and had my interview last week. I had never been so nervous !!

Good luck everyone !
Reply 9
Original post by Toastnbread
Hi !
I'm from the uk
I've applied for Vis com and had my interview last week. I had never been so nervous !!

Good luck everyone !

How did it go? Got mine next week and very nervous. What sort of thing they ask you? Whats the interview like?
Original post by claucsb
How did it go? Got mine next week and very nervous. What sort of thing they ask you? Whats the interview like?

It went Okay !! It would of gone better if i wasn't so nervous but it was a lot more informal than i expected. There were 4 people interviewing me.

They asked me some questions about me as a person and some questions about my work, such how i'd build on my practice etc. Once i was in the interview it went really fast, only thing is i had a really short time to show my portfolio so I'm afraid i didn't show them my strongest work.

But I would say try not to worry. As long as you are passionate about your work, and you can talk about it you'll be okay. I'm in agony waiting to see if i've got a place now though!
Reply 11
Original post by Toastnbread
It went Okay !! It would of gone better if i wasn't so nervous but it was a lot more informal than i expected. There were 4 people interviewing me.

They asked me some questions about me as a person and some questions about my work, such how i'd build on my practice etc. Once i was in the interview it went really fast, only thing is i had a really short time to show my portfolio so I'm afraid i didn't show them my strongest work.

But I would say try not to worry. As long as you are passionate about your work, and you can talk about it you'll be okay. I'm in agony waiting to see if i've got a place now though!

Thanks! I'm quite nervous about what they are going to ask me... I guess it changes for every course! But this makes me feel better hahah :smile:
Hi there! Joining here to follow latest news and happenings. I've applied for Vis Com in January. I am from the EU. I can see that some of you have already had your interviews, so I do hope they still invite people to interview for Visual Communication MFA.

Best of luck to all!
Reply 13
Im sure whoever doesnt have interviews yet will find out soon!

Just wondering are you guys applying straight from your degree or have you some years in the industry ?
Original post by claucsb

Just wondering are you guys applying straight from your degree or have you some years in the industry ?

I am still finishing my last year of BA at university, but also have been working in studio since my second year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by claucsb

I graduated from my BA almost four years ago! I've been lucky since graduating, sometimes for artists its tricky to keep your footing but I've managed to keep making work and getting opportunities to show and make.

Losing a bit of hope for an interview as the days drag on but it's not going to be the end of the world if I don't get an interview :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by francescafra
Good luck!! I checked my vids but I don't have a pro account so I cannot see my stats (I'm too curious!) :frown:
I'm so nervous too, I'm checking my emails like 10 times an hour :biggrin:

It's probably for the best, I purchased it when I kept getting a lot of hits on a video and I needed to figure out where they were coming from. I rarely check it these days but my curiosity got the best of me last week!
Reply 17
I graduated from my BA almost four years ago! I've been lucky since graduating, sometimes for artists its tricky to keep your footing but I've managed to keep making work and getting opportunities to show and make.

Losing a bit of hope for an interview as the days drag on but it's not going to be the end of the world if I don't get an interview :smile:

Woah wicked I'm still on my last year of uni. Have you given them a call? It varies a lot from department to department!
Original post by claucsb
Woah wicked I'm still on my last year of uni. Have you given them a call? It varies a lot from department to department!

I haven't haha not yet anyway. I'm afraid of being seen as pushy? I would feel more comfortable doing that if we were past the deadline I guess

Have you applied to any other schools? I just applied for RCA
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by claucsb

Also, where abouts from Europe are you from? Im from spain but studying in uk

Quick Reply

Latest