The Student Room Group

Should my friend break up with her boyfriend

My friend is constantly upset with her boyfriend and he's meeting a girl he's admitted to like. To everyone else this is a sure sign she should break up but she's finding it hard to convince herself to go through with it, as she says she loves him and when he makes her happy she's the happiest she's ever been but this is now becoming more rare! How can I convince her that breaking up is the right thing? Or should she stay with him? In my opinion they should break up.
Original post by leo_147
My friend is constantly upset with her boyfriend and he's meeting a girl he's admitted to like. To everyone else this is a sure sign she should break up but she's finding it hard to convince herself to go through with it, as she says she loves him and when he makes her happy she's the happiest she's ever been but this is now becoming more rare! How can I convince her that breaking up is the right thing? Or should she stay with him? In my opinion they should break up.

I think all you can do is support your friend if she needs it, i think people don't change unless they really want to, so any more than some gentle encouragement to break up with him might not go down well.
Reply 2
He has not yet comitted an act of disloyalty so she is right not to be rash.
I think you can't say much more than the generic 'you deserve better'/'you'll find someone else who makes you happy' etc. If you push too hard she'll get angry at you and you can't force her to make the right decision. Just be there to help her pick up the pieces when it inevitably goes wrong (and don't say I told you so!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending