The Student Room Group

PayPal's Credit Card Payment?

I'm trying to sell something on eBay; I have found a buyer who has sent funds to my PayPal account.

However, I now have this email:

"You have received a Pending credit card payment. However, to reduce credit card processing costs for accounts that do not pay fees, the ability to receive credit card payments is limited to Premier and Business accounts.*

If you upgrade to a Premier or Business account, all your Pending credit card payments will be completed. With your upgraded account, you will receive a range of premium features, including the ability to accept unlimited credit card payments.You must pay fees for accepting money with a Premier or Business account. The fees on incoming payments are low - just 3.4% + 0.20 GBP to receive payments. For more details, go to:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/?cmd=/_display-fees-outside

If you would like to keep your Personal account, you may log in and refuse this payment. Personal accounts may still accept payments funded with a bank account or PayPal balance at no charge. "

What does this mean? I assumed I would just be able to receive the money without issue. Does this mean that I won't be able to complete the sale?
Reply 1
Original post by Wiggly
I'm trying to sell something on eBay; I have found a buyer who has sent funds to my PayPal account.

However, I now have this email:

"You have received a Pending credit card payment. However, to reduce credit card processing costs for accounts that do not pay fees, the ability to receive credit card payments is limited to Premier and Business accounts.*

If you upgrade to a Premier or Business account, all your Pending credit card payments will be completed. With your upgraded account, you will receive a range of premium features, including the ability to accept unlimited credit card payments.You must pay fees for accepting money with a Premier or Business account. The fees on incoming payments are low - just 3.4% + 0.20 GBP to receive payments. For more details, go to:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/?cmd=/_display-fees-outside

If you would like to keep your Personal account, you may log in and refuse this payment. Personal accounts may still accept payments funded with a bank account or PayPal balance at no charge. "

What does this mean? I assumed I would just be able to receive the money without issue. Does this mean that I won't be able to complete the sale?

It's fairly obvious if you read what it says. The buyer tried to pay with a credit card, and the paypal account you have won't accept credit card payments. You can upgrade your account to accept the payment, or can refuse the payment.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
It's fairly obvious if you read what it says. The buyer tried to pay with a credit card, and the paypal account you have won't accept credit card payments. You can upgrade your account to accept the payment, or can refuse the payment.

I can't find any descriptive information of what upgrading actually involves.

What are drawbacks of upgrading to a business account? I don't want to upgrade in case there are hidden fees which I can't find after loads of research; trying to find out the difference between a personal and business account only produces a fee vague sentences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending