The Student Room Group

What did an integrated masters (MSci / MPhys / MChem / MEng etc) do for you?

So a week or so ago I made this thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4556740 - where I said I was having doubts about completing the 4th year of my integrated masters degree.

I'm now having double-doubts in reverse, and am considering the benefits of staying on for this last year and bagging the MPhys.

Problem is, I'm a little confused about what it really means as a qualification. As an integrated masters, it has 'masters' in the name, but is in fact 60 credits short of a proper MSc and according to official documentation it just counts as an 'undergrad'!

But then to further muddy the waters, according to the UK National Qualification Framework it sits at Level 7, which is the same category as masters level.

A lot of googling isn't bringing up too much information other than what I've said above, so now I'm putting it to the forum to ask for other peoples' experience or knowledge on integrated masters courses.

As a side note - my end goal is to work in China, where they've recently opened up their job market to people holding postgraduate certificates. I suppose this explains why I'm questioning the integrated masters. Do employers generally overlook the nuances and take it as a masters? Anyone got any personal experience?

Thanks.
Original post by Pessimisterious
So a week or so ago I made this thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4556740 - where I said I was having doubts about completing the 4th year of my integrated masters degree.

I'm now having double-doubts in reverse, and am considering the benefits of staying on for this last year and bagging the MPhys.

Problem is, I'm a little confused about what it really means as a qualification. As an integrated masters, it has 'masters' in the name, but is in fact 60 credits short of a proper MSc and according to official documentation it just counts as an 'undergrad'!

But then to further muddy the waters, according to the UK National Qualification Framework it sits at Level 7, which is the same category as masters level.

A lot of googling isn't bringing up too much information other than what I've said above, so now I'm putting it to the forum to ask for other peoples' experience or knowledge on integrated masters courses.

As a side note - my end goal is to work in China, where they've recently opened up their job market to people holding postgraduate certificates. I suppose this explains why I'm questioning the integrated masters. Do employers generally overlook the nuances and take it as a masters? Anyone got any personal experience?

Thanks.

I have an MEng (mechanical engineering), and what it does for me is allows me access to a wider range of jobs, as some jobs in my field prefer those with master's level qualifications. It also allows me to apply for professional registration at chartered level (CEng) without any further study. And, of course, it also allowed me to enjoy student life for an extra year. It's worth considering that I am Scottish and studied in Scotland so did not incur any extra debt by staying on for the extra year.

Essentially, what it does for me is ticks a box which it seems increasingly needs ticked these days.

In hindsight I would have learned more about my field by entering the workforce rather than completing the master's (there was useful skills and content, but I would argue that it could have been taught earlier in the degree), but with increased competition for jobs it helps you stand out somewhat, and with increasing requirements on qualifications, you've got to keep up with the Jonses.

However, as much as I say that the main benefits stem from the paper rather than the knowledge, there is good logic to going straight from bachelors to masters (whether it is integrated or postgrad). Once you're away from university and studying for a certain length of time, it becomes very difficult to go back into it. I think I would struggle quite a lot if I had to go back and study masters level material at this stage. In that regards, I am glad that I got it done sooner.

From what I have heard, employers outside of the UK are a little mixed on whether the consider an integrated masters to be an actual masters or still just a bachelors.

Ultimately, I think it depends on your field.
Thanks for that - good answer.

The stuff about standing out certainly makes sense.

I've just emailed the Institute of Physics to ask what they know about international recognition of the MPhys.

On the plus side, I've just gone to Baidu - China's version of google - and wrote 'MPhys'. The search brought up an instant translation - 物理学硕士 - which means 'Physics Masters of Science' which in the Chinese system is what every masters student does in the STEM disciplines. Definitely a good sign.
Original post by Smack
I have an MEng (mechanical engineering), and what it does for me is allows me access to a wider range of jobs, as some jobs in my field prefer those with master's level qualifications. It also allows me to apply for professional registration at chartered level (CEng) without any further study. And, of course, it also allowed me to enjoy student life for an extra year. It's worth considering that I am Scottish and studied in Scotland so did not incur any extra debt by staying on for the extra year.

Essentially, what it does for me is ticks a box which it seems increasingly needs ticked these days.

In hindsight I would have learned more about my field by entering the workforce rather than completing the master's (there was useful skills and content, but I would argue that it could have been taught earlier in the degree), but with increased competition for jobs it helps you stand out somewhat, and with increasing requirements on qualifications, you've got to keep up with the Jonses.

However, as much as I say that the main benefits stem from the paper rather than the knowledge, there is good logic to going straight from bachelors to masters (whether it is integrated or postgrad). Once you're away from university and studying for a certain length of time, it becomes very difficult to go back into it. I think I would struggle quite a lot if I had to go back and study masters level material at this stage. In that regards, I am glad that I got it done sooner.

From what I have heard, employers outside of the UK are a little mixed on whether the consider an integrated masters to be an actual masters or still just a bachelors.

Ultimately, I think it depends on your field.

Hey smack I remember you from back when I was doing my Alevels, are you chartered yet?

I've always used chartership as a milestone to work towards, I was wondering what your take on it was, as many engineers I have worked with in industry didn't bother with it, but then I see job adverts for CEng which are much more interesting and better compensated work so idk who to believe.

I have a year of IMECHE MPDS done from my year out, and I'm just starting a grad scheme after finishing an accredited BEng and Msc. I'll be doing a PhD part time while I work.
Original post by kingkongjaffa
Hey smack I remember you from back when I was doing my Alevels, are you chartered yet?

I've always used chartership as a milestone to work towards, I was wondering what your take on it was, as many engineers I have worked with in industry didn't bother with it, but then I see job adverts for CEng which are much more interesting and better compensated work so idk who to believe.

I have a year of IMECHE MPDS done from my year out, and I'm just starting a grad scheme after finishing an accredited BEng and Msc. I'll be doing a PhD part time while I work.

Hey there, I am not chartered yet. I was in oil & gas, but was one of those affected by the downturn so I haven't been doing engineering lately (although looking to get back into it!). If you are one year away from being chartered then you're more experienced than me! When I was working I was never actively working towards chartership because I wasn't enrolled on an MPDS and I thought it would be less work to prepare for things when I was closer to applying. If I was enrolled on an MPDS it would have been a no-brainer, though. And once I had enough evidence to demonstrate the requisite competencies, I was going to go for it.

My take on it is essentially the same as yours: many engineers in industry don't have it, but many do. I worked with a mixed bunch: some had it, others didn't. Ultimately, it's your competency that is key, but it (chartership) does seem to be something that companies are increasingly looking out for, I am finding. If a lot of the jobs you are interested in are mentioned that chartership is preferred, I think that is your best answer - better than what I can speculate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending