The Student Room Group

Considering dropping out optom

Long story short I rushed into choosing a course last year and am now discovering optometry may not be for me. Its an interesting course, but its full of physics and maths with only one bio module (which is my strength) and I'm honestly just hating it. My hearts always been set on economics but I believed I'd find it hard to get work in the area and I was told a degree is a lot different from the A Level. Now, I'm regretting that decision, as this course is making everything else sound a lot more appealing.
I'm really confused, a lot of people are telling me to tough it out because atm we're being flooded with course work and 5 day 9-4pm weeks and its only first year... But I cant seem to get the motivation to work hard for something I don't have a spark for. Please advise 😭
Original post by Asdfgj1
Long story short I rushed into choosing a course last year and am now discovering optometry may not be for me. Its an interesting course, but its full of physics and maths with only one bio module (which is my strength) and I'm honestly just hating it. My hearts always been set on economics but I believed I'd find it hard to get work in the area and I was told a degree is a lot different from the A Level. Now, I'm regretting that decision, as this course is making everything else sound a lot more appealing.
I'm really confused, a lot of people are telling me to tough it out because atm we're being flooded with course work and 5 day 9-4pm weeks and its only first year... But I cant seem to get the motivation to work hard for something I don't have a spark for. Please advise 😭

Optometry is a very high demanding course which is why it's reflected in the timetable of the course. Can I ask what subjects you did and the grades you got for A-levels? What university are you studying at btw?

Tbh, I say go with your gut instinct, but considering you're so close to end of year exams you should stick it out and then decide from there whether you truly like Optometry!
Reply 2
Original post by Philip-flop
Optometry is a very high demanding course which is why it's reflected in the timetable of the course. Can I ask what subjects you did and the grades you got for A-levels? What university are you studying at btw?

Tbh, I say go with your gut instinct, but considering you're so close to end of year exams you should stick it out and then decide from there whether you truly like Optometry!

Chemistry, Biology, Economics; CAA*
City uni.

Yeah I was considering waiting till the end but then I have no idea about how to about reapplying :/ ive heard if you register late for ucas you can still go through clearing? Idk I'm confused...
Original post by Asdfgj1
Chemistry, Biology, Economics; CAA*
City uni.

Yeah I was considering waiting till the end but then I have no idea about how to about reapplying :/ ive heard if you register late for ucas you can still go through clearing? Idk I'm confused...

Amazing grades!! We've established that Economics is your strongest subject, but like you said, Economics at university is completely different to what it is at A-level.

Ask yourself this, what was the reason you chose to study Optometry at university in the first place? and ask yourself, what would be the reason for you to carry on with the course? If you can't answer either of those questions then you will definitely need to consider your options!
Reply 4
Original post by Philip-flop
Amazing grades!! We've established that Economics is your strongest subject, but like you said, Economics at university is completely different to what it is at A-level.

Ask yourself this, what was the reason you chose to study Optometry at university in the first place? and ask yourself, what would be the reason for you to carry on with the course? If you can't answer either of those questions then you will definitely need to consider your options!

Tbh, because a respected profession is appealing and its in the health care sector. I dont really have any fondness for it, except a few areas which interest me, but it really is a chore on the whole.
Thank you for the advice :frown: I definitely need to think carefully
Original post by Asdfgj1
Tbh, because a respected profession is appealing and its in the health care sector. I dont really have any fondness for it, except a few areas which interest me, but it really is a chore on the whole.
Thank you for the advice :frown: I definitely need to think carefully

The thing with Optometry is, if you're not really fond whilst studying it then you might end up detesting it when it becomes your career. The downside is, if you end up hating it as your job then there isn't really much else you can do but things that are related to optics.

Have a look at this thread about someone who is stuck in the career of Optometry for example...
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4216468
Reply 6
Hi i know this was posted long ago but I’ve just come across this. I’ve applied to city for optometry.

The grades needed are ABB, so do they normally allow people who don’t get the exact requirements a place ?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest