The Student Room Group

case note

Can I know which website can I find case note for law
This site is really good for finding short case summaries and the rules that come from them http://e-lawresources.co.uk/Home.php
The best approach for a case note is to outline the main issue before the court. Then very briefly the material facts. The next stage is to outline the key steps in the court's reasoning as they arrived at their decision. The most important part is then to examine the legal significance of the case and for 70 or above the social and economic impact of the case.
Original post by MyLawTutors
The best approach for a case note is to outline the main issue before the court. Then very briefly the material facts. The next stage is to outline the key steps in the court's reasoning as they arrived at their decision. The most important part is then to examine the legal significance of the case and for 70 or above the social and economic impact of the case.

Not sure about the part in bold... Surely it would be better to criticise/distinguish the judgments, by bringing in academic opinions etc (I concede that in doing so this may, in relatively rare occasions I would have thought, involve noting the economic/social impact of the decision).
I suppose it depends on the criteria being applied. However, at Level 2 and 3 most Law Schools ask for an awareness of the practical implication of the law/a judgment. Example: if a case is set on broadening the rules of consideration in contract law to uphold more agreements to accept less = issue with use of economic duress to procure such agreements = in the post credit crunch era a likelihood of more consumers being allowed to wipe off more debts = impact on business. I also came across a wonderful case analysis recently where the student was able to show how a case would impact on the financial markets. It is original ideas like that with a social or economic angle that can boost marks. However, I take your point - legal impact is key.
Original post by MyLawTutors
I suppose it depends on the criteria being applied. However, at Level 2 and 3 most Law Schools ask for an awareness of the practical implication of the law/a judgment. Example: if a case is set on broadening the rules of consideration in contract law to uphold more agreements to accept less = issue with use of economic duress to procure such agreements = in the post credit crunch era a likelihood of more consumers being allowed to wipe off more debts = impact on business. I also came across a wonderful case analysis recently where the student was able to show how a case would impact on the financial markets. It is original ideas like that with a social or economic angle that can boost marks. However, I take your point - legal impact is key.

Level 2/3 referring to GDL schools, I assume?

I definitely agree, but I think that lends itself more naturally to some cases than others. In most cases I find attempting to discuss 'societal impact' tends to lead down the road of policy issues etc, which can be pretty fluffy at times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending