The Student Room Group

medicine if I'm not really smart?

I have wanted to study medicine all my life but I attend quite a disadvantaged school. My GCSE grades were 1A 6Bs and 3Cs and I take Biology, Maths and Psychology at A level, at the moment I'm predicted around BBB/BBC but I'm hoping that these predictions will go up soon.
Do I have a chance at getting accepted to medical school? I've seen that Bristol uni would give me a contextual offer of around BBC but I'm not sure on my chances of getting in
Also I have applied for a Nuffield Research Placement, if I get accepted for a research placement is this going to help increase my chances of being accepted?
Medicine with a foundation year at a few unis offer BBB/BBC, have a look. With those GCSE's, you wouldn't be very competitive for normal medicine at gcse heavy unis even if you did have AAA predictions, but if your UKCAT was high, (700's) along with quality work experience then you'd still stand a chance for uni's that arent gcse heavy. But it's probably best to stick to the foundation year uni's. Alot better if you're not sure you'll acheive A's as the foundation years a good support and they focus less on gcse's. You'd need to meet contextual requirements so its best to have a look at each uni, I think the ones that offer it are nottingham, uea, southampton, bristol, and newcastle (ABB with their partners scheme)
(edited 7 years ago)
No. 2 reasons,

1. Your GCSE grades arent competitive for 90% of the Unis

2. You dont have Chemistry A level ( which almost all unis want)

You could try going down the foundation year route which takes on people with no science A Levels
Oh wait, I've just seen that you don't have chemistry at a-level. Which means what I said above won't apply to you as those foundation years require chemistry and biology alevels. Liverpool I think have foundation year without chemistry alevel, but you need AAA predictions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studystudystudy_
I have wanted to study medicine all my life but I attend quite a disadvantaged school. My GCSE grades were 1A 6Bs and 3Cs and I take Biology, Maths and Psychology at A level, at the moment I'm predicted around BBB/BBC but I'm hoping that these predictions will go up soon.
Do I have a chance at getting accepted to medical school? I've seen that Bristol uni would give me a contextual offer of around BBC but I'm not sure on my chances of getting in
Also I have applied for a Nuffield Research Placement, if I get accepted for a research placement is this going to help increase my chances of being accepted?

I think applying for a foundation year would be a good choice because of your gcse results and A level predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bex.anne
Oh wait, I've just seen that you don't have chemistry at a-level. Which means what I said above won't apply to you as those foundation years require chemistry and biology alevels. Liverpool I think have foundation year without maths alevel, but you need AAA predictions.

Some foundation years take on people who don't have Chem A Level (I'm thinking of applying myself). They're sometimes known as foundation years or medicine with preliminary year. However, for some you have to meet contextual factors.
Medics are not smart.
Original post by romansholiday
Some foundation years take on people who don't have Chem A Level (I'm thinking of applying myself). They're sometimes known as foundation years or medicine with preliminary year. However, for some you have to meet contextual factors.

Yeah, the ones I mentioned however, require chemistry and biology alevels.

Latest

Trending

Trending