The Student Room Group

Is there anyway to get out of student accommodation contract?

Im living in private halls at the moment and moving into a house share in september and was wondering if i can get out of them both?

The people i share with in halls are awful, they steal my food and just make it so uncmfortable to live there. Also my toilet always breaks meaning i am without a toilet for a few days while it is fixed. I only have until august left so im not sure if its even possible to get out of the contract? Ive spoke to the people who run/manage and asked a few times to be moved flats and they wont.

The house share i signed for isnt until september, i havent paid a deposit or anything but i no longer want to move there as i dont want a repeat of what happened in my halls. Is there anyway to get out of it? Do i need to find a replacement tenant to takeover? Or could i say im taking a gap year and no longer need the room? I know that would be a lie but i am desperate to get out this contract!
Original post by dxn1996
Im living in private halls at the moment and moving into a house share in september and was wondering if i can get out of them both?

The people i share with in halls are awful, they steal my food and just make it so uncmfortable to live there. Also my toilet always breaks meaning i am without a toilet for a few days while it is fixed. I only have until august left so im not sure if its even possible to get out of the contract? Ive spoke to the people who run/manage and asked a few times to be moved flats and they wont.

The house share i signed for isnt until september, i havent paid a deposit or anything but i no longer want to move there as i dont want a repeat of what happened in my halls. Is there anyway to get out of it? Do i need to find a replacement tenant to takeover? Or could i say im taking a gap year and no longer need the room? I know that would be a lie but i am desperate to get out this contract!

You would almost certainly need to find a replacement tenant for both.
Yeah if you signed a contract it's too late to get out of it without a replacement tenant. The landlord doesn't care about your gap year, real or not, they just want the money you agreed to pay them.
Reply 3
Hi - I was in the same position last year. You can get out of the house share as long as you haven't paid a deposit, meaning you haven't actually purchased the assured short hold tenancy (AST). You can email or send the landlord an AST annulment, which is a bit wordy but I have a PDF copy someone sent me. Drop me a PM and I'll pop it back to you.
Regards,
John

Original post by dxn1996

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending