The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your advice. Hm in terms of defining the relationship, I just think if you are seeing someone exclusively and you refer to each other as being together and things are progressing, do you need to rush to put a label on the relationship? I just feel that progresses and comes with time

As I said, although I have the account I haven't logged in for months
Did you ever suggest both deleting your accounts/ app?

I think I might struggle to not say anything. So I will just explain what happened when we see each other next (although this is likely to be for his birthday thing) so unsure what to do?

For me personally, 5 months is more than long enough to be able to call someone your boyfriend. If someone was dating me for that long and still wouldn't refer to me as their girlfriend I would be concerned. It's not like you're asking for a proposal, you just want to call them your boyfriend/girlfriend, if you are exclusive it's not really that big of deal and shouldn't need to take 5+ months to happen in my opinion.

When someone starts talking about not needing labels it just screams commitment issues to me. My ex was all about "not needing labels" and "not moving too fast" and my friends have also dated people like this and it never ends well. But, if you're happy to not have the label yet then that's also fine, it's all subjective and what suits one couple does not suit another.

The POF account showing as active, I'm not really buying that after 5 months it would still do this if he hadn't logged on in all that time. I feel as though this would be more likely to happen when someone is regularly using the app, although I am no expert on this.

Yes, we both just discussed if we were still using the app, we said no and agreed to delete it, this was after a few weeks of dating and saying we were exclusive.

In all honesty, there is no definitive answer to whether he has been on or not, it may be innocent and something he can explain, or he may lie through his teeth and be using it regularly. With my ex I knew something about her was off and I couldn't trust her no matter how hard I tried to rationalise her behaviour, I always had doubt and anxieties deep down though I didn't show it because I was worried I was being paranoid. If it were me, I would ask him and go with your gut, it's rarely wrong.
That is really shocking of your friend.

I really don't feel comfortable doing something like this. Mainly as it just shows a complete lack of trust in someone who I otherwise have no reason not to trust or be suspicious about.

Surely it would just be better and more mature to explain what happened? That I was sorting something out for his birthday, checked something on his profile and then saw that he had been online.
- If its just something to do with the app rather than actively messaging other girls, then it will be obvious as he wouldn't be expecting that
- If he is, then he wouldn't be keen to take down his profile or delete the app if I suggest this. And if he does want to shop around then he can, and I won't really want to be with him

why does he still have the app at all if he is 5 months into a relationship? i met someone on one of these things and de-activated my account straight away (as did she). i see no honourable reason to keep a dating app if you are no longer available to date
Original post by Richard0328
why does he still have the app at all if he is 5 months into a relationship? i met someone on one of these things and de-activated my account straight away (as did she). i see no honourable reason to keep a dating app if you are no longer available to date

Well I don't know now. The more of these messages/ replies I read, the more worried and panicked I am getting

I still have a profile but I never log on. I don't have it on my phone. I would have to log in through the website rather than an app

When we talked about being exclusive and not seeing or sleeping with other people, I assumed that also meant not actively looking online or responding to messages etc. We didn't specifically discuss taking down online profiles. I also don't much experience with online dating or at least anything which has gone beyond a few dates

I'm getting quite upset now and not sure what to do
I'd rather not message him about this but bring it up in person
well i have a pof account and a bf but i dont talk to anyone on there and i saw that my bf was on another dating site so i made a fake account and msgd him on there but he never replied and it says that he hasnt logged in for over a month so i dont know if he ever goes on it or met up with anyone off of there but ive never confronted him about it i just asked if he would go on a dating site and he said no so i just try not to worry about it now but i do wonder why he made it and i wish that i could delete it
Original post by kaylababesxx
well i have a pof account and a bf but i dont talk to anyone on there and i saw that my bf was on another dating site so i made a fake account and msgd him on there but he never replied and it says that he hasnt logged in for over a month so i dont know if he ever goes on it or met up with anyone off of there but ive never confronted him about it i just asked if he would go on a dating site and he said no so i just try not to worry about it now but i do wonder why he made it and i wish that i could delete it

I don't think there is anything wrong with that as you havent been using it etc.
The issue with my situation is that when I saw his profile, it said 'online today'
rather than just not saying anything (or saying not logged in for a month etc)

I feel just a bit panicked now, and will need to say something to him but perhaps just try and keep it relaxed and see what he says
lol you didn't delete your account either and signed in today. he could turn around and ask you the same thing really
Well I don't know now. The more of these messages/ replies I read, the more worried and panicked I am getting

I still have a profile but I never log on. I don't have it on my phone. I would have to log in through the website rather than an app

When we talked about being exclusive and not seeing or sleeping with other people, I assumed that also meant not actively looking online or responding to messages etc. We didn't specifically discuss taking down online profiles. I also don't much experience with online dating or at least anything which has gone beyond a few dates

I'm getting quite upset now and not sure what to do
I'd rather not message him about this but bring it up in person

you should not have to discuss your profiles. as soon as you are in a relationship you should both be ditching the dating sites out of respect among other things. this is not your fault so dont think it is something you have done (or not as the case may be)
When you next see him, pretend to borrow his phone and be like 'oh why you still got this app?' make him delete it.
Are you still with him just wondering how it's going
Reply 49
I think he should gave deleted his POF acct if he was with you for 5 months and then maybe this would not be happening. I was with guy for 2 years...he was on there the whole time. Some guys are like that...so just beware
From personal experience I can tell you that he's on the dating site while with you. My ex of nearly 3 years remained there. We had lots of promises lots of lies and in the end I decided to walk away.
I am locking this thread as it is 8 months old.

Latest

Trending

Trending