The Student Room Group

How to verify your online dating partner?

If you've met someone online and you're planning to meet up for a date, it's natural to want to confirm their authenticity beforehand. Can you provide examples of reliable methods to confirm if the person I've been talking to online is genuine?
I don't think there's any definitive way, of verifying someone... just do as many checks as you can and double check that all the pieces of the puzzle match up.

For example, if you have some of their personal contact details (e.g. pseudonym, tel number / email etc.) and see if they correspond to any accounts on social media. Alternatively, if you have a photo of them, you can try doing a reverse image search on Google, and see that whatever that links to matches up with your profile.

Apart from that, when meeting up with someone, take the usual precautions:- Tell at least one friend who you're meeting and where (get them to come with you and they stay hidden); meet in a public space with lots of people around (I would recommend somewhere where you can check out the person from a distance beforehand... that way if you don't like the look of them, you don't have to meet them).
Get them to do a live facetime so it doesn't turn out to be a 70-year-old paedo.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Get them to do a live facetime so it doesn't turn out to be a 70-year-old paedo.

Apparently they can be spoofed. If doing that, get them to do something specific that shows it's really them speaking (e.g. ask them to turn their hat backwards or something)
Reply 4
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Apparently they can be spoofed. If doing that, get them to do something specific that shows it's really them speaking (e.g. ask them to turn their hat backwards or something)

True but I feel like that's too much of an interrogation for a romantic connection lmao, having a conversation with their face on is enough. Personally I wouldn't meet unless a face time happened, and honestly it breaks the ice and gives you a better idea, talking on text is so different to in person
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Old Skool Freak

Yes, as well as putting something on or across your face to interfere with any virtual filter that could be active.
I don't think I've ever 'verified' an online match before meeting up.

Usual sensible safety stuff applies, meet somewhere public at a time when people are around.
Original post by Anonymous
it's natural to want to confirm their authenticity beforehand.

It's not really, the vast majority of people don't feel that need.
Reply 8
Original post by StriderHort
It's not really, the vast majority of people don't feel that need.

Doesn't make it right. Say you meet a catfish, they already know a lot about you and you rejecting them could give you serious issues. Don't underestimate crazies lol
Why who are you meeting OP?
If you have doubts that you are been told the truth or feel that you have to verify that the person you have been chatting with online is not a catfish, it's best not to consider meeting up offline.
Stick to app messaging, social media dm's, phone or video calls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending