The Student Room Group

What should I do with my life?

Hello

Last year I graduated with a 2:2 in Psychology & Criminal Justice from LJMU. My work experience is basically just a bit of admin work. So I'm nothing impressive, really.

I was supposed to spend this year on a Management MSc but dropped out due to illness, and not really enjoying the course. I'm currently a temp, but effectively unemployed and have a place on a GDL course in September but am now thinking that maybe all the effort and money required in qualifying as a solicitor might be too much of a risk given my poor grades.

I now have no idea what to do next, what kind of career I should pursue or anything. What advice can you offer me please?
slave plz
Original post by MrSquirrel_
Hello

Last year I graduated with a 2:2 in Psychology & Criminal Justice from LJMU. My work experience is basically just a bit of admin work. So I'm nothing impressive, really.

I was supposed to spend this year on a Management MSc but dropped out due to illness, and not really enjoying the course. I'm currently a temp, but effectively unemployed and have a place on a GDL course in September but am now thinking that maybe all the effort and money required in qualifying as a solicitor might be too much of a risk given my poor grades.

I now have no idea what to do next, what kind of career I should pursue or anything. What advice can you offer me please?
Reply 2
Were the poor grades down to you not putting in the work? Because if you know that you can do better, then the relatively low classification shouldn't stand in your way. If you genuinely couldn't manage the work, then maybe have a rethink. This is a really personal thing, I'm not sure how much strangers on a messageboard can help. have you spoke to your family about these concerns?
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
Were the poor grades down to you not putting in the work? Because if you know that you can do better, then the relatively low classification shouldn't stand in your way. If you genuinely couldn't manage the work, then maybe have a rethink. This is a really personal thing, I'm not sure how much strangers on a messageboard can help. have you spoke to your family about these concerns?

Oh yeah, I should probably should have mentioned that. Why I didn't do better is a long story but I was doing really well on my MSc before I ended up in hospital. I'm thinking that doing another postgrad course (or maybe a grad scheme) in the best idea, but I'm not sure what.
Reply 4
Oh yeah, I should probably should have mentioned that. Why I didn't do better is a long story but I was doing really well on my MSc before I ended up in hospital. I'm thinking that doing another postgrad course (or maybe a grad scheme) in the best idea, but I'm not sure what.

If you were bossing it before you got sick, I'd hazard that's a good indicator that you could pull this off if you set your mind to it.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
If you were bossing it before you got sick, I'd hazard that's a good indicator that you could pull this off if you set your mind to it.

Yeah, just need ideas as to what field to go into
I don't think you should drop out. You managed to get a place on the GDL course and have a chance to start a great career in law. With respect to your poor grades, I think you do have extenuating circumstances for employers to consider. If you work hard on the GDL and get plenty of work experience, there is nothing to suggest that potential employers will dismiss you the minute they receive your application. :smile:
Hello

Relax, enjoy your life and find out what interests you. Do you love watching TV? Why not work for a broadcasting company? Do you like hanging out with friends? Why not try to find a job that will make use of your people skills? You get the gist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending