The Student Room Group

Which science A Level is easiest to take in one year?

This poll is closed

Which science A Level should I take in one year?

Biology 44%
Chemistry 20%
Physics36%
Total votes: 25
Long story short, the university I want to transfer for asks for an A Level in one science - this can be Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Maths.

I'm not including Maths as an option because I know I am awful at it and have a Foundation Year to be dealing with as well.

For what it's worth, at GCSE I got:
Biology - B
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A

I also have an AS Level in Physics grade B, but the spec is outdated now (took it in 2013) so I would need to resit the whole AS and A2.

So, yeah. Which science A Level should I take in one year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SunlethSky
Long story short, the university I want to transfer for asks for an A Level in one science - this can be Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Maths.

I'm not including Maths as an option because I know I am awful at it and have a Foundation Year to be dealing with as well.

For what it's worth, at GCSE I got:
Biology - B
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A

I also have an AS Level in Physics grade B, but the spec is outdated now (took it in 2013) so I would need to resit the whole AS and A2.

So, yeah. Which science A Level should I take in one year?

In your case I would say A-level Physics! Since you already studied it at AS then you'll know what to expect. But it depends if you found the subject "easy" or you just managed to scrape by with a 'B' grade.
Original post by Philip-flop
In your case I would say A-level Physics! Since you already studied it at AS then you'll know what to expect. But it depends if you found the subject "easy" or you just managed to scrape by with a 'B' grade.

I take it the content hasn't changed all that much in 4 years? And no, I didn't find it too difficult - only concern with that is that I've heard it's very Maths-heavy at A2! I got a C at GCSE, so I don't wanna set myself up for something too bad ^^;

Edit: Also the course I'm hoping to transfer into is Biomedical Engineering, so Physics is probably more useful.
Physics.

Chemistry A-level is very different to the GCSE and there's a LOT of stuff to memorise. Physics is mostly a continuation of GCSE - some more aspects, some more detail on what you've already done.
I take it the content hasn't changed all that much in 4 years? And no, I didn't find it too difficult - only concern with that is that I've heard it's very Maths-heavy at A2! I got a C at GCSE, so I don't wanna set myself up for something too bad ^^;

Edit: Also the course I'm hoping to transfer into is Biomedical Engineering, so Physics is probably more useful.

The thing with spec changes is that they usually tend to be very minor/gradual changes so it wouldn't have changed that much! Surely AS Physics is just as "Maths-heavy" as A2! You said you did the first year of A-level Physics, so A2 would just be advancing from things you learnt at AS as well as new topics.
Original post by unprinted
Physics.

Chemistry A-level is very different to the GCSE and there's a LOT of stuff to memorise. Physics is mostly a continuation of GCSE - some more aspects, some more detail on what you've already done.

As I asked above, how mathematical is it in A2? AS wasn't anything too strenuous, but if it requires super-advanced Maths I might struggle.
The thing with spec changes is that they usually tend to be very minor/gradual changes so it wouldn't have changed that much! Surely AS Physics is just as "Maths-heavy" as A2! You said you did the first year of A-level Physics, so A2 would just be advancing from things you learnt at AS as well as new topics.

That was my only science AS/A2 at all and I know from the others how big the step up is - that's really more why I wondered! But still, that sounds like something I could manage. Thank you! :h:
Biology because you've said you're not the best at maths. A2 physics deals with much harder maths then AS, so you'll be behind in that respect. Biology is just memorization and past papers, which I feel is much easier.

A2 deals with harder maths such as logarithms and exponential rearranging.
Original post by Kyou
A2 deals with harder maths such as logarithms and exponential rearranging.

Those kind of things can easily be learnt from ExamSolutions if need be. But I'm sure textbooks/revision guides for A-level Physics will cover this, no?
Those kind of things can easily be learnt from ExamSolutions if need be. But I'm sure textbooks/revision guides for A-level Physics will cover this, no?

No they don't, he'll have to learn them separately.
Original post by Kyou
No they don't, he'll have to learn them separately.

So no A-level Physics books will cover Logs and Exponentials despite it being part of the syllabus? But like I said, they can easily be learnt with the help of ExamSolutions.
Reply 12
Only new thing that A2 physics has is the ln function. Assuming you took Maths in AS, you already know how to solve those questions. A2 Physics doesn't have any super-maths. Plugging stuff in the formula and re-arranging isn't hard.

OP: None of them are easy. Those are the hardest A-level subjects. Pick the one which interests you more, relevant to your course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fadel
They're not even required. A2 physics just needs knowledge of the ln function.

Yeah that's what I thought! @Kyou is just scaring OP!
My foundation year teaches Maths up to AS equivalent, so I'm assuming I'll learn about them in time. Honestly it's only geometry I can't do in Maths, it's just when I did it at GCSE, that took up like half the damn syllabus.

Granted, memorisation is more my strength from language/humanity A Levels. But it's less advantageous in the long run for BME.
Sorry if I'm being contrarian here, I'm just interested in seeing all different sides haha
My foundation year teaches Maths up to AS equivalent, so I'm assuming I'll learn about them in time. Honestly it's only geometry I can't do in Maths, it's just when I did it at GCSE, that took up like half the damn syllabus.

Granted, memorisation is more my strength from language/humanity A Levels. But it's less advantageous in the long run for BME.

What grade do you need from this science subject to be accepted onto Biomedical Engineering btw?
I did Maths and the 3 sciences at A-level. Biology in my opinion is more hard work rather than talent, Physics is more talent than hard work, Chemistry is a mix of both (organic/inorganic parts). By talent I mean of course, tests your ability to think, while hard work is memorising facts.

Personally I found A-Level Maths/Physics the easiest (due to being good at Maths), but in your situation, maybe go Biology but make sure to really read through and soak up all the information.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
I would say Physics, without a doubt. Particularly if you're not scared of maths. Biology has a huge content to learn (and it was your weakest at GCSE). Chemistry again has a fair bit of content and is tough - most people seem to find Chemistry the most difficult of all three sciences at A level.

Physics isn't a walk in the park, but the content is, shall we say, a little more compact, and if you have mathematical fluency, that's a good part of the battle won.Are you interested in physics - that would be an added bonus!

I adore Physics, and I'm not afraid of Maths - I just know it isn't my strength. Biology was my favourite science for a long time but I could never remember everything properly and would just get frustrated - Chemistry is my least favourite by far but I'm apparently very skilled at it, so who even knows? :lol:

I'm interested in most parts of Physics, just mainly Astronomy. I believe that's actually a unit at A2 though which will definitely help. Physics seems to be more based on understanding and using concepts compared to memorising, and I suppose on a level I'd prefer that. Spent my first set of A Levels just regurgitating information, and that didn't feel good (looking at you, Sociology.)

What grade do you need from this science subject to be accepted onto Biomedical Engineering btw?

According to Ulster:
"The GCE A Level requirement for this course is grades BBB to include one Grade B from GCE A Level Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Technology and Design, Design and Technology, Engineering or Double Award Science."

I got A*A*ABB, so I should be fine in that regard (the 2 A*s were in native languages though, so basically nowhere accepts them.)
Original post by mashbbk
I did Maths and the 3 sciences at A-level. Biology in my opinion is more hard work rather than talent, Physics is more talent than hard work, Chemistry is a mix of both (organic/inorganic parts). By talent I mean of course, tests your ability to think, while hard work is memorising facts.

Personally I found A-Level Maths/Physics the easiest (due to being good at Maths), but in your situation, maybe go Biology but make sure to really read through and soak up all the information.

Yeah, I refrained from telling OP to go for A-level Biology not because of the difficulty of the subject but merely because of the sheer volume of work! As mentioned they are hoping to study a science A-level in one year but that would be really difficult to do with Biology since it is like you said, is memorising facts!

I'm currently studying A-level Biology and I am constantly feeling overwhelmed with the amount of content! Do you have any study/revision tips??

Quick Reply

Latest