The Student Room Group

Your first album

What was it? Do you still listen to it, or do you feel embarrassed at it looking back?

For me, the first album I owned definitely falls into the latter category. Sing When You're Winning - Robbie Williams; not the worst album I've ever owned, but not something I would listen to these days. Although I think I took to it because it had football on the cover (in my defence, I was not long 7 when it came out)

First single and first record (When the Stillness Comes - Slayer & Another Perfect Day - Motorhead) on the flip side - still dig them out regularly.
Reply 1
The Titanic soundtrack album :colondollar: I still listen to the instrumental music on it every so often but I've grown out of My Heart Will Go On. I got it as a Christmas gift when I was about 6.

The first album I remembering buying for myself was Dizzy Up The girl by The Goo Goo Dolls when I was about 12. I still listen to that a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Mine was

Sgt. Pepper's lonely hearts club band
I think the first album I got (given to me by my parents) was Now That's What I Call Music 64. The first album I got on my own was Turn It Up by Pixie Lott, and I really liked it at the time (I was around 12 when it came out).

Shortly after though my dad introduced me to Black Sabbath, and I never went back to pop after that :tongue:
Five's second album, Invincible :lol: Yes, I'm embarrassed by that. My second album was Sum 41 - All Killer No Filler, which I'm less embrassed about as it was actually good music.
Reply 5
I bought three (with my own money, that is!) around the same time, maybe 1999/2000: Reign in Blood - Slayer, Halfway between the Gutter and the Stars - Fatboy Slim, Issues - Korn. Not really sure why people get embarrassed about music. If you like it, who gives a shiny one what anybody else thinks?

I think the first album I *ever* owned was probably a Bee gees album or something that I commandeered from my Dad. I had some old Oasis ones bought for me donkeys ago but I never really liked them.
I think it was Michael Jackson - History

Definitely an embarrassing one. Wouldn't listen to it now but listened to it every day when I got it. I was about 9/10, and he was the first artist I 'fanboyed'.
Reply 7
'Remedy' by Basement Jaxx: I was an unusually discerning thirteen-year-old. As to whether it's stood the test of time, I very much think so:

[video="youtube;NveOUGodw34"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NveOUGodw34[/video]
First album I ever owned was Now That's What I call Music 50, and even then I hated all the pop dirge on it and would only listen to the rock songs.

First album I ever bought for myself was Hybrid Theory, and I guess it must hold some kind of sentimental value for me because I can't stand Linkin Park post-Meteora (Re-Animation was balla).
Reply 9
The Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here recorded on a cassette for me by my dad, when I'd be about four or five.

First legit album I remember owning is the Staying Alive soundtrack (by the Bee Gees) on vinyl (yeps I had a record player as a small child too).

I am embarrassed by none of this. Wish I could find that LP :moon:

Quick Reply

Latest