The Student Room Group

Dissertation problem

Hey guys! I just want to ask a simple question, I submitted my dissertation yesterday but can't stop thinking and panicking about failing on it since than.

My dissertation is about networking so I need to create my own network design to show how it works with results ...etc. however my network can only meet part of the objectives.
I tried to add more stuff about research on my dissertation which worth 35% of the whole final year project so I can get marks on it but the work done part will also worth 30% so failing it means failing the whole module, will I still be able to get some marks for it even though it is not a complete success?
Reply 1
Original post by Fushimeikun
Hey guys! I just want to ask a simple question, I submitted my dissertation yesterday but can't stop thinking and panicking about failing on it since than.

My dissertation is about networking so I need to create my own network design to show how it works with results ...etc. however my network can only meet part of the objectives.
I tried to add more stuff about research on my dissertation which worth 35% of the whole final year project so I can get marks on it but the work done part will also worth 30% so failing it means failing the whole module, will I still be able to get some marks for it even though it is not a complete success?

I'm afraid we really have no way of knowing. We would need to understand the marking scheme used in your department and how strict or lenient your first and second markers are likely to be.

However, a dissertation isn't just about getting the "right" results. You will be given marks for things like correct in-text referencing, the formatting of your bibliography to your uni's standards, the depth and quality of the research for the lit review, the logic underlying your planned methodology, the presentation of results (whether complete or not), labelling of tables/charts/figures, conforming to any layout specifications (font, font size, line spacing), whether it was spellchecked etc. There will be plenty of things being marked other than whether the dissertation completely meets the stated original objectives.

Sharing an office with staff who supervise dissertations, I can tell you that the vast majority of staff will look for reasons to give you marks, not reasons to take them off. Having to supervise a resubmitted failed diss over the summer is a pain in the butt and unless it's a very definite fail, most staff will be keen to avoid it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
I'm afraid we really have no way of knowing. We would need to understand the marking scheme used in your department and how strict or lenient your first and second markers are likely to be.

However, a dissertation isn't just about getting the "right" results. You will be given marks for things like correct in-text referencing, the formatting of your bibliography to your uni's standards, the depth and quality of the research for the lit review, the logic underlying your planned methodology, the presentation of results (whether complete or not), labelling of tables/charts/figures, conforming to any layout specifications (font, font size, line spacing), whether it was spellchecked etc. There will be plenty of things being marked other than whether the dissertation completely meets the stated original objectives.

Sharing an office with staff who supervise dissertations, I can tell you that the vast majority of staff will look for reasons to give you marks, not reasons to take them off. Having to supervise a resubmitted failed diss over the summer is a pain in the butt and unless it's a very definite fail, most staff will be keen to avoid it.

I've been stressing about it when I saw how much other people had done for their dissertation and done what they need to preform for their topic, I understand that it is about quality but not amount of pages but still made me feel I am way behind. I understand about the concept of what my network design should be like but just the software that I need to use is not easy to find tutorials so I need to figure things out myself since my assessor don't even know how to use it himself so I spent too much time on trying to use that software while others already finished and started testing :/

Anyway thank you for your reply! This makes me feel better :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi i have a similar issue yet, I am really really worried. Basically submitted my dissertation on monday - 15,000 words and then had a horrible feeling I had forgotten to referanace something. Put it through a plagarism checker and its is 2/3% plagarised. (i think about 4/5 sentences In seperate areas I havnt referenced properly). I know I should have done this before hand but didnt really know it existed. Raised concerns to my supervisor, academic advisor and student welfare office. All said I would be ok but might loose a few marks. Still really worried and cant concentrate. Can someone ease my mind/ please say they have been in the same situation. My acadmic advisor said look they know its not on purpose, people make mistakes. Just so annoyed at myself.
Reply 4
Original post by BombayBicycleClub
Hi i have a similar issue yet, I am really really worried. Basically submitted my dissertation on monday - 15,000 words and then had a horrible feeling I had forgotten to referanace something. Put it through a plagarism checker and its is 2/3% plagarised. (i think about 4/5 sentences In seperate areas I havnt referenced properly). I know I should have done this before hand but didnt really know it existed. Raised concerns to my supervisor, academic advisor and student welfare office. All said I would be ok but might loose a few marks. Still really worried and cant concentrate. Can someone ease my mind/ please say they have been in the same situation. My acadmic advisor said look they know its not on purpose, people make mistakes. Just so annoyed at myself.

I am not sure about your uni but in my uni they set a percentage limit so you are in trouble if they found your work's plagiarism level is higher than that number, it is perfectly normal to get a few percent because that shows that you've used reference in the work, I think yours sounds fine to me so don't worry 😉
Reply 5

That's actually quite low and will be picking up things like book and journal paper titles. At my uni, alarm bells wouldn't begin to ring unless it got over 15% or so.
what uni's do you both go to?
Reply 7

Actually I'm staff - and I share an office with staff who supervise and mark dissertations, as well as following up suspected plagiarism issues.
ok thanks great just really struggling sleeping etc and i dont want it to affect me like this!!
Reply 9

I go to university of Salford 🤝
ok i go to manchester! surely other people must have been in this boat!! good luck :-) xx
Reply 11
ok i go to manchester! surely other people must have been in this boat!! good luck :-) xx

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. You've survived the experience and handed in something with a lower-than-expected plagiarism score. Sounds like a good job to me :smile:
ok haha thank you :-) i will let you know how i do!!
hey guys :smile:
I got my final mark today and I passed it, actually the mark was way higher then what I expected because I don't even think I can pass it ;-;
good luck to everyone x
hiya well done!!! somehow i got a first so who knows all that stress for nothing!!!
ok haha thank you :-) i will let you know how i do!!

My dissertation came back at 12% on turnitin and my mark was 91% - you'll be fine.

Lancaster Uni btw.

EDIT:-

Just seen your post above - see! Congrats!
(edited 6 years ago)
hiya well done!!! somehow i got a first so who knows all that stress for nothing!!!

Well done to you as well!! :banana:How cool it is that we were both so stressed and worried but it turned out completely fine lol I am graduating with a first so no more stress because of university stuff XD
wooo well doneee u :-) xx
what are you guys doing after uni? xxx
what are you guys doing after uni? xxx

Try to find a job a work here for a few years and go back to my country if I can't lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending